Western Isles build - questions on builder responsibilities

mbon75

Hi All

I am planning a build in Western Isles and we have met with the company that would build our house. They provide a team of builders but have said that I need to provide a storage unit for their tools and materials, q portaloo and also the skips. Is this normal as I would have though such provisions would be the responsibility of the builders and with regulations on what can be put in a skip I would be liable for any penalities in this regard yet have no control. Also with the portaloo I then have to arrange for emptying etc.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated as it was only mentioned during our first F2F meeting and not any of the previous correspondence before.

Many thanks

Martin

What is the site like? any drainage on site yet?

A portaloo is normally emptied by its provider, normally weekly. It makes no difference to you if the builders supply it or you do, either way the cost will end up at your door.  If you have, or can get drainage installed early then a site toilet can be connected to that and save the portaloo costs.

Re storage, buy or hire a container, or even a static caravan. You need to get whatever is available on the island otherwise transport and ferry costs could well exceed the cost of the unit.  My guess would be a static 'van would be easier to find.

What build method and how much waste do you expect?  I have never had a skip on either my first or current self build. I work on the basis that any timber left over gets used to build something or goes on the stove. Any brick or tile rubble gets used as hardcore. that really only then leaves plastic packaging, cement bags etc and plasterboard, that I put in my trailer and take to the tip recycling centre myself at no cost. 

45 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What build method and how much waste do you expect?  I have never had a skip on either my first or current self build. I work on the basis that any timber left over gets used to build something or goes on the stove. Any brick or tile rubble gets used as hardcore. that really only then leaves plastic packaging, cement bags etc and plasterboard, that I put in my trailer and take to the tip recycling centre myself at no cost. 

The problem is that builders won't want to spend time sorting waste like you did as a self-builder.

Hi ProDave and Jack,

Many thanks for the prompt response.

The site is not developed yet but will have been by the time the builders arrive as we are getting that done separately. Not sure how easy it would be to connect a portaloo to a septic tank as that is what we will be using but a good point to consider.  

The building company is providing a full turnkey service and one of their selling points is that they offer a fixed price for the build hence my query why I should have to pay for the Portaloo, skips and storage.

Is it standard to provide such things and perhaps I am being naïve in this regard.

Cheers

Martin

2 hours ago, mbon75 said:

Hi ProDave and Jack,

Many thanks for the prompt response.

The site is not developed yet but will have been by the time the builders arrive as we are getting that done separately. Not sure how easy it would be to connect a portaloo to a septic tank as that is what we will be using but a good point to consider.  

The building company is providing a full turnkey service and one of their selling points is that they offer a fixed price for the build hence my query why I should have to pay for the Portaloo, skips and storage.

Is it standard to provide such things and perhaps I am being naïve in this regard.

Cheers

Martin

I think @ProDave meant to get yourself a cheap and cheerful normal toilet and build a little 4'x4' hut around it and plumb it into your septic tank,

much like an old fashioned outhouse type affair really.

you could even put it right close to your tank so some temp pipework neednt be so long.

14 hours ago, mbon75 said:

Hi All

I am planning a build in Western Isles and we have met with the company that would build our house. They provide a team of builders but have said that I need to provide a storage unit for their tools and materials, q portaloo and also the skips. Is this normal as I would have though such provisions would be the responsibility of the builders and with regulations on what can be put in a skip I would be liable for any penalities in this regard yet have no control. Also with the portaloo I then have to arrange for emptying etc.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated as it was only mentioned during our first F2F meeting and not any of the previous correspondence before.

Many thanks

Martin

I'm guessing you're not using a local firm (Danwood perhaps from your description)? Assuming that's the case, it may simply be a logistical issue given your location. It's not going to be difficult arranging these things yourself, and if you are worried about certain things being put in the skip, notify the builders accordingly as part of your agreement / contract. 

20 hours ago, Steptoe said:

I think @ProDave meant to get yourself a cheap and cheerful normal toilet and build a little 4'x4' hut around it and plumb it into your septic tank,

much like an old fashioned outhouse type affair really.

you could even put it right close to your tank so some temp pipework neednt be so long.

That's exactly what I meant. Or if you buy a cheap old static caravan as your storage unit, it will have a toilet, basin and water heater. Plumb that into your tank.

Although strictly speaking you need a site loo, I have worked on at least 3 new builds where the "loo" was a tree to go and pee behind (not so many of those on Harris though)   On my own build, I offered the builders the use of the loo in our house 2 doors down. Most chose the tree.

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Although strictly speaking you need a site loo, I have worked on at least 3 new builds where the "loo" was a tree to go and pee behind (not so many of those on Harris though)   On my own build, I offered the builders the use of the loo in our house 2 doors down. Most chose the tree.

Judging by the state of our portaloo during weeks when there were a few people on site (never more than about 4 or 5), I don't think that would have been sufficient for us!

Hi All thanks for the helpful replies and apologies for the delayed reply.

Unfortunately as you there is a lack of trees on Harris so I better get planting now. Your feedback is all really useful and was not sure if the builders were trying to get out of something they should provide or if this was standard for a self build. Being on Harris aids complexity to some of these logistics so guess they know that and figure we have better contacts than they do.

Thanks again

Martin

FWIW, we're in the South of England, and every build company I got so far as to get into detailed discussions with were the same, we had to provide site security, skips, scaffolding as they required, a WC and potable water and hand washing facilities.  It seemed pretty standard to me for these to be the self-builders responsibilities.

The exception were ground works companies.  All those I spoke to included the provision of a portaloo, water bowser etc in their Ts and Cs.

Conversely my main contractor noticed my site signs and said they didn't usually bother out in the sticks , I volunteered the use of my caravan for loo, washing and tea facilities and the guys on site were impressed and not used to such luxury! 

Are there any other self builders on the island, ask around and see if any have an old shipping container.  Then add some value to it by putting in a small kitchen, bog (as you say up there), maybe something from a boat, and some storage racks.

Sell it on to the next self builder or rent it out.

• 2 months later...

Dear All, apologies for very late reply but wanted to say thanks to all contributors for the very helpful thoughts. Again, perhaps inexperience on my part but had assumed a builder offering a full turn key service would have arranged welfare facilities for they workers as well. The static caravan seems the best solution as it offers welfare and storage as well. Thanks so much. Martin