Planning Concern

0720SD

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Not sure you can object if you don’t live there or own it?, one picture on the planning website shows a wall and fence best part of 2 meters but can’t see if it extends all the way down the new extension.

Hi Joe,

The fence goes all the way to the end of the garden so guessing I can replace?

The window height is around 1.7, so 2m should surfice?

Apparently I can object even without ownership, but what weight it will pull against any impending stone throwing would be more my concern.

The planning file already appears to show an objection from the owner of number 121 (which presumably is place you are interested buying).

The objection refers to a Party Wall agreement and that "the roof has been a problem from the beginning".

Edit: Just noticed that this was put up on the website today.

Edited by Temp

17 minutes ago, 0720SD said:

Apparently I can object even without ownership, but what weight it will pull against any impending stone throwing would be more my concern.

You could even apply for PP for an extension before you purchase the house (although you would need the current owners consent on the application form).

35 minutes ago, Temp said:

The planning file already appears to show an objection from the owner of number 121 (which presumably is place you are interested buying).

The objection refers to a Party Wall agreement and that "the roof has been a problem from the beginning".

Edit: Just noticed that this was put up on the website today.

Yes just seen this which will hopefully support my case.

The extension was began in April according to the planning application.

Alternative idea: If your main concern is that their windows will provide a reason to refuse an extension of your own, what about putting in your own application now for an extension of the same size, and ask the seller to pay the fees.  It would be hard for the planners to refuse you if they are going to consent your neighbour, and hard for your neighbour to object to your application whilst theirs is still live. 

Set back 20cm isn’t much, and if it looks closer than that as mentioned, it’s worth another visit if possible with the drawings at hand to do some measurements and look where the roofline is likely to finish.

They’ve taken a risk starting before applying/receiving permission.

12 hours ago, AdamJ said:

Alternative idea: If your main concern is that their windows will provide a reason to refuse an extension of your own, what about putting in your own application now for an extension of the same size, and ask the seller to pay the fees.  It would be hard for the planners to refuse you if they are going to consent your neighbour, and hard for your neighbour to object to your application whilst theirs is still live. 

This isn't something I had thought about before, thanks.

12 hours ago, dangti6 said:

Set back 20cm isn’t much, and if it looks closer than that as mentioned, it’s worth another visit if possible with the drawings at hand to do some measurements and look where the roofline is likely to finish.

They’ve taken a risk starting before applying/receiving permission.

It isn't much at all. There is a fence on the border line of which the extension is inside however it did look tight from the viewing.

What are the rules if to say planning was approved and the build was not correct against the drawings?

7 minutes ago, 0720SD said:

There is a fence on the border line of which the extension is inside however it did look tight from the viewing.

it depends where the boundary is, centre of the wall?, your wall? Their wall? See where it joins the house.

41 minutes ago, 0720SD said:

What are the rules if to say planning was approved and the build was not correct against the drawings?

My understanding is that if someone was to notify the planners that they had built in excess of what was granted, they are obliged to investigate.

You've got non material amendments and minor amendments where and applicant may wish to make small changes, but mostly these seem to be for things that don't change the boundary, scale, appearance being adversely affected etc. 

Anything more substantial than the limitations of the above options requires a new retrospective application, I believe.

If the increased size would likely to have been approved beforehand, it would probably go through, but if they built something that would have unlikely been granted then they could potentially take enforcement action in extreme cases.

1 hour ago, dangti6 said:

My understanding is that if someone was to notify the planners that they had built in excess of what was granted, they are obliged to investigate.

You've got non material amendments and minor amendments where and applicant may wish to make small changes, but mostly these seem to be for things that don't change the boundary, scale, appearance being adversely affected etc. 

Anything more substantial than the limitations of the above options requires a new retrospective application, I believe.

If the increased size would likely to have been approved beforehand, it would probably go through, but if they built something that would have unlikely been granted then they could potentially take enforcement action in extreme cases.

Hi Dan,

Thanks, I can't remember the exact build against the boundry wall, it just looked tight when I viewed the property.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of the objection in the meantime.