'Invalid Application' help!

Stumpie

Hi Guys,

I wanted to try for planning myself. I did a larger project a few years back where the architect did it all, but this is a smaller project so I was hoping to do a little more myself.

Anyway... I got my plans together and used planningportal.com to submit my application to the local authority. The confirmed receipt inside of 24 hours and rejected it citing 3 errors in my application - two of them were my own stupid fault and I corrected them. The third has me a little confused...

This is a very small extension to the rear of my property. I'm basically squaring an L-shaped room off for a new kitchen. It's a ground floor.

So getting to the point, they've asked me to indicate neighbours windows on the existing and proposed plans I've submitted. I've googled about and can't find any example of what they are asking me for. I called and a planning administrator wasn't sure what they wanted either?

I've emailed the planning department for a little clarification but I thought I would ask here as well.

Thanks in advance :)

Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 18.05.08.png

11 Garth Road - Proposed.pdf 11 Garth Road - Existing.pdf

They need a site layout plan that shows the position of neighbouring properties in relation to yours, and that needs to show the position of windows on neighbouring properties so they can see if there are issues with overlooking.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

They need a site layout plan that shows the position of neighbouring properties in relation to yours, and that needs to show the position of windows on neighbouring properties so they can see if there are issues with overlooking.

Really? Is that something new in the last 4 years that you are aware of? So it's literally just the site plan showing windows on my neighbours properties? I didn't have not do this when we doubled the size of the house!

Would I show fences that separate the properties as well? I only ask as you can't see the modifications the ground floor from the ground floor of my neighbours?

And one last thing, you wouldn't have an example of a site plan showing windows etc?

And thanks again :)

Edited by Stumpie

1 minute ago, Johnnyt said:

I think it means the relationship of the windows on the proposal on neighbouring properties

So if I were to do a site plan that showed existing windows of my property and my immediate neighbours and the proposed. Have you heard of this being requested in the past? And would you have an example of it?

As with all drawings; planning applications, BC drawings (warrant drawings in Scotland) you are seeking to convey information. Adding photgraphs to your drawings can be help the planners etc to visualise what they are being asked to assess, it may even help speed up your application!

If you are going to add photographs then I would put them on perhaps the elevation drawings rather than the site location or block plan.

In Scotland for the last few months (COVID) some of the planners are / were not making site visits so providing photos can help in my view mitigate some requests for extra information.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

As with all drawings; planning applications, BC drawings (warrant drawings in Scotland) you are seeking to convey information. Adding photgraphs to your drawings can be help the planners etc to visualise what they are being asked to assess, it may even help speed up your application!

If you are going to add photographs then I would put them on perhaps the elevation drawings rather than the site location or block plan.

In Scotland for the last few months (COVID) some of the planners are / were not making site visits so providing photos can help in my view mitigate some requests for extra information.

I'd never thought about it like that. I guess the point is to make it easy for them to approve it.

I can do paper/pencil drawings rather than have the architect draw it. If it's for additional information then I think that should be acceptable. That way I can also reference photos that would be take from specific angles and show those angles on the drawings.

That way they can see the property without having to visit the site.

Thanks.

33 minutes ago, Johnnyt said:

Well that's a new one for me, I presumed it was a mistake or poorly written.

That means you may have to submit an elevation drawing of your neigbours, can that be correct?

That's what I was struggling with.

Is it because the house is a semi? At first I thought it was a very odd request, but maybe they want to see the whole building in case it impacts the direct neighbour.

Could you do it through permitted development as it looks like quite a small change?

1 hour ago, AliG said:

Is it because the house is a semi? At first I thought it was a very odd request, but maybe they want to see the whole building in case it impacts the direct neighbour.

Could you do it through permitted development as it looks like quite a small change?

It is a semi and no, we can't do it through permitted development as I believe we used all our entitlement up for that when we doubled the size of our house 4 years ago.

I have had a look at your LPA’s validation list and the requirement to plot neighbours’ windows is not one of those listed. If I was in your position, I’d argue that with them as it should “not” be a reason to invalidate an application.

I have only had a similar requirement come up before but this was in the last 1-2wks of the formal 8 week determination period.