Protek - No more policies available.

Just called to finalise my structural warranty. ProTek are not offering any new Structural warranties at this moment until March. 

They have oversold this year and the underwrite hadn't notified them, so now they can't sell anymore.   It's a bit of a pain as Protek were 25% cheaper for me. 

Protek - £2931 (£903 premium / £1920 site audit fee plus IPT)

Closest competitor - £3950 (£1197 premium/ £2610 site audit fee plus IPT)

Now, interestingly the guy said I could wait and get it in March , however he couldn't guarantee it but I would pay a £25% premium for each stage missed in inspection, now lets' say 4 stages in total. Imagine I wait till it is built and then get it retrospectively - thats 100% increase in the premium. 

Premium is only £903 - so premium becomes £1806 - this seems a hell of a lot  better than £2931 

4 hours ago, Temp said:

The risk is they don't resume providing policies. Would the alternative £2931 also be increased by 100%  to  £5862?

They will resume (assuming they don't cease trading), but it means I can get it whenever I like but just pay a premium. 

I was more pointing to getting rid of the site audit fees - which are the main part of the cost. I'm in Scotland so LA does BC. 

Theoretically I can do this with any supplier and get a retrospective policy, but they don''t really advertise them like that.  

Edited by SuperJohnG

• 2 months later...
On 05/01/2021 at 16:49, SuperJohnG said:

Just called to finalise my structural warranty. ProTek are not offering any new Structural warranties at this moment until March. 

They have oversold this year and the underwrite hadn't notified them, so now they can't sell anymore.   It's a bit of a pain as Protek were 25% cheaper for me. 

Protek - £2931 (£903 premium / £1920 site audit fee plus IPT)

Closest competitor - £3950 (£1197 premium/ £2610 site audit fee plus IPT)

Now, interestingly the guy said I could wait and get it in March , however he couldn't guarantee it but I would pay a £25% premium for each stage missed in inspection, now lets' say 4 stages in total. Imagine I wait till it is built and then get it retrospectively - thats 100% increase in the premium. 

Premium is only £903 - so premium becomes £1806 - this seems a hell of a lot  better than £2931 

I'm waiting on a quote back from them. Are you proceeding on a no site visits basis?

45 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

from Protek? i phoned them the other day and they said not to equire until mid april

I went through the online form. Will get a quote elsewhere (self build zone?) in the meantime if Protek won't provide. 

Same for me, Protek wouldn’t even give me an indicative quote. They also explained the 25% premium uplift if I miss a stage but the audit fee would be reduced as a result of one less site inspection.

@SuperJohnG unless we are missing something, I agree the total warranty cost goes down the more inspections you miss! 

Not sure I can take the chance of start building (early April) without warranty inspections but it is tempting to take one out later ...

10 hours ago, Bonner said:

Same for me, Protek wouldn’t even give me an indicative quote. They also explained the 25% premium uplift if I miss a stage but the audit fee would be reduced as a result of one less site inspection.

@SuperJohnG unless we are missing something, I agree the total warranty cost goes down the more inspections you miss! 

Not sure I can take the chance of start building (early April) without warranty inspections but it is tempting to take one out later ...

I've started foundations. I'm just going to get it in April when it is available. It'll be fine... 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, eandg said:

I'm waiting on a quote back from them. Are you proceeding on a no site visits basis?

You'll not get a call back quickly.  But yes I have proceeded with foundations, I got them a month or two ago and the boy said they would get oodles of policies in April and it'll be fine and he done a quick calc and if I miss the foundations stage I actually save 500 quid. It's completely ridiculous, no point in the surveyor's being involved. they just triple the fee. 

9 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

You'll not get a call back quickly.  But yes I have proceeded with foundations, I got them a month or two ago and the boy said they would get oodles of policies in April and it'll be fine and he done a quick calc and if I miss the foundations stage I actually save 500 quid. It's completely ridiculous, no point in the surveyor's being involved. they just triple the fee. 

Cheers - sounds the route to go. I'll get an alternative in the meantime and chase them up in April.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi All,

First ever post on the forum!

Just about to kick off in March with a closed pannel timber frame timber clad building only 149m2 on isoquick insulated raft in the highlands Scotland and having a nightmare with finding structural warranties. I expected to pay about 3 grand but the quotes are so high! Self build zone absolutely ridiculous 11 grand. Next best quote I've got in from a broker is 5,300. Put is out to alot of brokers and am sitting hoping something cheapers gonna come in! Are there any structural warranty providers that will go on the LABC inspections who operate in Scotland LABC don't cover Scotland.

Thanks

On 21/01/2022 at 14:14, Highland build said:

@SuperJohnG really interested to know how you got on with warranty as your on the insulated raft loved reading your blog!

@Highland build I havent followed up yet. Will maybe do it internally next few day and see if they are doing them again. 

Was just hanging it out as I don't like the surveying fees which are double that of the policy. 

Thanks on the blog....not much there since I got right into the build. Hopefully a few things sorted and cam post more soon but we are well on now with outside nearly complete. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2022 at 09:21, Highland build said:

Hey @SuperJohnG they are back in business with the warranties but not really advertising it. Think they've just started up again. Mines with the underwriters but because inspection fees locations he said its gonna be about 5 grand ouch. 

Just got a quote....what was £2800 before is now £9500...

what even the fu.........

I hate structural warranties. 

• Sad 1

I had nightmare i went for 5100 in the end. protek was the cheapest for me.  Try Advantage their lender list is slightly smaller than Protek but still got alot of big lenders Santander HSBC etc but see what they can do. SBZ build care 11,000, 7500. Only building 149m square but its the location not the size for us. 

It was painful to pay i tell you but got it. 

1 hour ago, Highland build said:

I had nightmare i went for 5100 in the end. protek was the cheapest for me.  Try Advantage their lender list is slightly smaller than Protek but still got alot of big lenders Santander HSBC etc but see what they can do. SBZ build care 11,000, 7500. Only building 149m square but its the location not the size for us. 

It was painful to pay i tell you but got it. 

Would be interested to see your survey costs vs actual premium price?