Underfloor Heating Bells and Whistles

paulc313

Hello,

I personally don't know anything about underfloor heating. It's my father in law installing the system. However, he's asked if we want the all singing all dancing system where you have an app on your phone rather than thermostats throughout the house to control it. It costs a bit more so not sure at all whether it's worth the extra cost. We will have a ASHP so I assumed I would just be running the heating throughout the new build house at 21 degrees all the time so no need for an app.

Can anyone give some advice on if it's worth it?

Thanks

Paul

Choice is yours, but ufh and ashp aren't fast responding items so you often get them how you want them and rarely make any changes.

However an app may give things like energy consumption data which can he useful if you want to optimize settings

Ask the question, WHAT would you do with the app on your phone?

I suspect the answer is 99% of the time, NOTHING.  About the only useful thing I can actually think of for it, would be if you go away on holiday in winter, then the day before you come back, you can remotely turn the heating on so the house is warm for your return.

I look forward to others telling me what a phone app can do that a thermostat and a time clock can't.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ask the question, WHAT would you do with the app on your phone?

I suspect the answer is 99% of the time, NOTHING.  About the only useful thing I can actually think of for it, would be if you go away on holiday in winter, then the day before you come back, you can remotely turn the heating on so the house is warm for your return.

I look forward to others telling me what a phone app can do that a thermostat and a time clock can't.

My 2 channel controllers have holiday mode built in ... 

Can’t see the point of an app, and if it’s the Heatmiser one I would read the app reviews first ... 

• Like 2

Agree with all the above.

Bought the kids some cheap LED strips for their bedrooms. Comes with a simple remote with about 16 presets and a fancy app that allows 100s of options. After 20 mins of playing they both now use the remote :) 

My UFH heating is set to 21o and isn't even on a timer. Low energy house so not much heat required but no idea what I'd do with an app (and I work in technology so not exactly a luddite).

@paulc313

I did a self-build holiday home a few years ago which has UFH controlled by the Hive app. I really like it as I can remotely check the temperature in the house in Winter to make sure the 12 degree 'frost' setting is working okay. It also means that I can remotely increase the temperature ready for when we go there at the weekend.