Replacing a tile: not as easy as I thought... hence this post

Why did they fit your dry ridge like that with 2 screws in each ridge tile?

I thought that the standard way of doing it was to have screws going through the union joints in the middle, so that the screws pull the unions tight against the tiles to crrate a seal to stop the rain getting in. 

Why is there only 1 screw in the ridge tile at the very end of the ridge. 

Without an end cap on doesn't the wind and rain blow down the entire length of the ridge?

So what happened?

Did the Swan Dive into the water feature in the winter garden take place?

(reads thread)

I see it was all routine apart from the cakewalk.

I admire people who do things like that.

That new roof ladder idea seems to me to be a little light on attachment at the top, for one relying on an angle which is only 50 degrees off a straight line. Not really sure how to fix that.

Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

That new roof ladder idea seems to me to be a little light on attachment at the top, for one relying on an angle which is only 50 degrees off a straight line. Not really sure how to fix that.

The back up is a batten fixed to scaffold planks at the bottom, if the ladder is long enough to rest on it, it as I've done in the past. Or you can put a rail on the scaffold side and lash it to it.

A previous suggestion was a rope on the top of the ladder to an immovable object (or a vehicle) on the other side of the building just in case.

13 hours ago, BobAJob said:

BTW: Is there no end cap on your dry ridge?

There was: but it blew away in a gale - it was made of Tupperware and had cracked during installation - forgotten about over the years and this year it seems to have had enough. So its  foam down under the ridge tile and then some mortar with soot in it, methinks. 

I would like to put a gargoyle there (ridge - end) . Suggestions?

12 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why did you not get out of the basket and sit astride the ridge ?‍♂️

Has the lift gone back ?

Because I have developed really 'king annoying levels of arthritis in both my hips. Believe me just two years ago, I would not have thought twice about that. It was the obvious thing to do.  As it was I had to do more bending and stretching than normal:  last night I needed 4 painkillers to get comfortable in bed.  I just have to find that balance  between the pain caused by  pushing it and finding new ways of doing jobs I used to do quickly and efficiently.  Years gone by, I'd shin up and down the corners of the scaffold: now - I have to have a ladder. Safer, but takes another few minutes.

16 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

.... I know a fair few people that wont get in the things because of the sway. 

Who can blame them? I certainly don't. Its just what you have got used to over time. One of the benefits of age and experience I suppose.

Yes @epsilonGreedy, being able to draw on really challenging previous experience is extremely useful in self-building. If it's out of your comfort zone, hard work, and wholesome, it's worth doing. 

Hence I remember, on my first static line parachute jump,  the voice of that hairy-arsed sergeant  hissing in my my ear as I stood pooing myself on the edge of the balloon basket  " ...Assume the position and push, lad...  " Directly relevant to reaching out of that swaying basket to try and replace the tile. 

Thanks Sergeant Williams. (again)

Edited by ToughButterCup

3 hours ago, JFDIY said:

The back up is a batten fixed to scaffold planks at the bottom, if the ladder is long enough to rest on it, it as I've done in the past. Or you can put a rail on the scaffold side and lash it to it.

A previous suggestion was a rope on the top of the ladder to an immovable object (or a vehicle) on the other side of the building just in case.

That's the plan Stan.

I'll design one and post here for comment later.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dpmiller said:

doesn't the dry ridge roll have a self-adhesive underside?

Yes, it does.

9 hours ago, BobAJob said:

Why did they fit your dry ridge like that with 2 screws in each ridge tile?

Why is there only 1 screw in the ridge tile at the very end of the ridge. 

Without an end cap on doesn't the wind and rain blow down the entire length of the ridge?

The job was done by a contractor part of the time, and me the rest of the time. The lads came from Nor' Iron - and reading between the lines, they probably did my job between large industrial jobs . Because of our proximity to the M6, they'd drop in, do a day or two with me labouring on.

I got a bit cross  when one day I found they'd used my Gaulhoffer window cills as flashing round the solar panels. Come to think of it I was reeeeeely cross. Thats the kind of thing that happens to me though.

One screw at the end @BobAJob?  Dunno. And yes, the ridge is quite airy I suspect. Its on the snagging list

You should check that the roofers took the backing tape off that's over the adhesive on the roll.  It's on the bottom edge where the membrane touches the tiles. 

I had a dry ridge down back in September and to me it looked like the membrane wasn't sitting properly.  I asked the roofer to check it and he refused and told me that it supposed to be like that.  I didn't believe him and hired another roofer to check it and he discovered that none of the backing tape had been removed along the whole 30 metres of roof.  I ended up not paying the original roofer and he hasn't bothered hassling me for the money as he knows I have photos of every screw up he made on the job and I could ruin him if I posted them on review sites. 

IMG_20201113_111152_1.jpg

Edited by BobAJob
  • Like 1

Thanks very much @BobAJob.

I did work that day (the one on which they fixed the ridge tiles.) I will pop up and check in the next few days.

Going back into my google photos account - as often happens, I find I didn't take enough photos of the roof going on . I do know (because of advice from @ProDave) that we overlapped the felt from one face over the ridge to  the other side. (I cut it to length). 

20180714_123951.thumb.jpg.e57a75d8f3831f95c6261115ff1d2c73.jpg

On 07/01/2021 at 17:54, BobAJob said:

But I can't see anything between the ridge tiles to pull the union joints tight to create a seal to stop rain getting in.  There's some really thin stuff between the tiles but if it's not pulled tight against the inside of the tiles then there is no seal. 

Thanks.

I will get up there as soon as there's a weather window , take some photos and post here. Thanks once again for your comments. Very valuable indeed.

Ian

On 06/01/2021 at 22:20, dpmiller said:

doesn't the dry ridge roll have a self-adhesive underside?

probably why you can’t shift that tile/slate, might need a heat gun to soften the “glue” and slide a scraper under it to release it ? (but you will need to release the ridge tiles anyway).

4 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Thanks very much @BobAJob.

I did work that day (the one on which they fixed the ridge tiles.) I will pop up and check in the next few days.

Going back into my google photos account - as often happens, I find I didn't take enough photos of the roof going on . I do know (because of advice from @ProDave) that we overlapped the felt from one face over the ridge to  the other side. (I cut it to length). 

20180714_123951.thumb.jpg.e57a75d8f3831f95c6261115ff1d2c73.jpg

Thanks.

I will get up there as soon as there's a weather window , take some photos and post here. Thanks once again for your comments. Very valuable indeed.

Ian

Yeah you have felt, which usually makes dip between the two sides of the roof but when they do a dry ridge they fit wooden battens down into the dip which they attach to the rafters and then they lay the waterproof membrane over the top and then the tiles and union joints go on top.  The ridge tiles get fitted and the screws for the union joints go through and are secured to the wooden battens in the dip.  The top screw in the union joint pulls the union joint tight against the underside of the ridge tile to stop water getting in.  I'm not sure how they've created a seal on yours as you don't appear to have the standard union joints between your ridge tiles.  I have a union joint and some spare ridge tiles so I'll try to take a cross section photo to show you how I think they're supposed to work.