Wireless room sensor

ferncottage

Morning

I have an anex to my house. 

It's a single room with a radiator. 

The radiator is part of the same circuit as the main house. 

The circuit is on a timer that controls a pump so couple of times a day it switches on. 

This works fine but I am going to be using the anex more and want to fit a room senor that will control the pump based on the temp in that room. 

Ideally a wireless sensor feeding into the current controller. 

Is this possible to do and if so any suggestions of a make. 

I will get a sparky to fit but would like an understanding of it if possible 

Cheers

Simple wireless single channel room stat will do that - replace the timer with the base unit, and then put the stat in the annex and that would work but there are a couple of small niggles. 

You say the pump switches on with the current timer - how does it also switch the boiler on..?

How is the rest of the house controlled along with the hot water ..?

It may be worth looking at replacing all the controls so you have a consistent set and also ensure heat is available when you want it to be - piggy backed systems aren’t the best idea.  

Thanks for your reply. 

The heating is from a thermal store  heated via an oil fired boiler controlled by the thermal store temp so the room thermostat does control the boiler directly. 

The issue is trying  to control the circulation pump directly. 

Icheers again

1 hour ago, ferncottage said:

so the room thermostat does control the boiler directly

? Don't you mean that it does not control the boiler directly? With a TS which is servicing DHW too ( assumed ) then the cylinder stat controls the boiler and primary pump and he timeclock decides when. Therefore you would need a separate zone valve tee'd off the heating output from the TS which can command the boiler ( override the timeclock ) independently. That wouldn't be so problematic if you only want to use the annex in parallel with the current 'heating on' times? 

An idea of how you time heating and hot water ( DHW ) would help ;)   

So I assume this is the usual set up with a TS and the oil boiler in that there is a very simple programme (ie 6am - midnight) for the oil boiler to heat the TS, and the heating just pulls from the TS as and when it needs it. There is no boiler interlock per se, and it’s fairly simple as long as no-one runs the heating outside of the boiler times. 

To do it “correctly” you would need to interlock the lot - probably needs a 4 channel timer too, but not the end of the world to just ensure that the boiler time clock runs for longer than the CH pumps. 

17 minutes ago, PeterW said:

but not the end of the world to just ensure that the boiler time clock runs for longer than the CH pumps. 

Big issue is how much DHW is drawn off and when though? Would suggest the TS is serviced on demand if the extra independent heating zone is added plus DHW  is required 'on tap'.