Off-Grid Static Caravan Living (for now anyway!)

MrsMozart

Hello :)

A nice lady on an FB self-build page suggested I ask a question on here (washing machine v. generator), and it reminded me that I'd joined a while ago, but life got in the way.

We sold up the family home, bought land in Scotland, and we're in the process of setting up a retirement livery yard. We've got planning to be here in the static (called 'Gertie') for up to three years whilst we prove there's a need for our business here. There's much to do in the way of stables, shelters, tracks, and all the other bits and bobs needed for such a venture. It's been interesting moving to such a new area and into a static during a pandemic... I've been in tears a few times in Screwfix car park as I tried to work out what it was I needed and how to order it. Some lovely folks have helped and we've somehow bumbled along to this stage.

I hope to learn so very much more and to help others where we can.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Good luck with your venture, it sounds like a big lifestyle change. A lot of people want to keep their old horse but have no where at home so you should have a good business. 

Thank you. Having two retired horses of our own we know the pull on the heart strings only too well. Very much looking forward to having some more old (and not so old) souls come and share the place with us.

57 minutes ago, MrsMozart said:

Hello :)

A nice lady on an FB self-build page suggested I ask a question on here (washing machine v. generator), and it reminded me that I'd joined a while ago, but life got in the way.

We sold up the family home, bought land in Scotland, and we're in the process of setting up a retirement livery yard. We've got planning to be here in the static (called 'Gertie') for up to three years whilst we prove there's a need for our business here. There's much to do in the way of stables, shelters, tracks, and all the other bits and bobs needed for such a venture. It's been interesting moving to such a new area and into a static during a pandemic... I've been in tears a few times in Screwfix car park as I tried to work out what it was I needed and how to order it. Some lovely folks have helped and we've somehow bumbled along to this stage.

I hope to learn so very much more and to help others where we can.

I'm the FB lady ?

Hope you get your answers.

I also have 2 old uns retired here, one isn't old, but is an ex racer who can't cope with normal riding life so lives with my old cob.

Edited by LSB
  • Like 1

My early-stage seasonally adjusted self builder tips in descending priority are:

• Hook-1: So that you always know where your ear defenders are.
  • Hook-2: For a proper builders face mask.
  • A good torch powered by the same rechargeable battery system chosen for your power tools.
  • A few tons of hardcore for site paths to get you out of the mud.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

My early-stage seasonally adjusted self builder tips in descending priority are:

• Hook-1: So that you always know where your ear defenders are.
  • Hook-2: For a proper builders face mask.
  • A good torch powered by the same rechargeable battery system chosen for your power tools.
  • A few tons of hardcore for site paths to get you out of the mud.

Ticks to the hooks - we have many of those!

Power torch - half a tick as doesn't work off the same battery. Will sort! 

Hardcore - many ticks! Tonnes of the stuff. Need more but waiting 'till pathway design sorted as that stuff is not cheap ?

36 minutes ago, MrsMozart said:

Hardcore - many ticks! Tonnes of the stuff. Need more but waiting 'till pathway design sorted as that stuff is not cheap ?

Have you considered sourcing direct from a quarry in 10 ton loads? Suppose it depends on storage space onsite since manually shifting that much in a weekend would be a backbreaking task.

Our standard of living onsite improved incrementally.

A garden shed for the washing machine and tumbler was a big step forward. Hardcore parking for cars. Then a rotary washing line in the Spring. Finally we developed a garden area with potted plants and garden furniture, after dark on a summer's evening we forgot we were living on a building site.

Last week I got the fridge freezer out of storage and set it up under the temporary roof of the utility room.

Ditto to washing machine & tumble - we put ours in an old greenhouse. Also built a deck with pallets and old joists salvaged from the demolition.

Our game changer was a dehumidifier which kept the van dry and warm during winter. The gas fire (and hob) generated moisture which then condensed out overnight and left the floor cold and damp, so we ditched the fire and used the dehumidifier instead. Ran up the leccy bill a bit but worth it for the additional comfort.