Northern Ireland

Hi Folks,

I have started getting some contacts built up and some early quotes for my self build project.  I figure no matter what I build it will be a bungalow with a similar number of rooms etc. so wiring is going to be nominal in distances based on my budget (there's an outer limit to what I can build) so I can sort of ballpark what I need to do the wiring.

I have been reading that there are people who are Part P registered however in Northern Ireland I have been reading this isn't a requirement.

Is this true that I could literally go ahead and install my own electrics without having any form of certificate and training and have building control sign it off?

I guess it sort of makes sense here as some farm wiring I've seen is absolutely shocking - I install wireless broadband.

See I'm not completely sure thats true because if there is no way to verify the install then the cert also becomes irrelevant too?  I'll contact BC to find out what they require.

http://archive.niassembly.gov.uk/researchandlibrary/2010/4810.pdf

The NI Assembly writes:

"There are currently no statutory requirements for domestic electrical installation work in Northern Ireland"
"Businesses and lone traders may opt to join a number of accredited schemes that mirror the system currently in practice in Great Britain. However, this is not a mandatory factor within NI legislation. According to the NIESLG there are 550 electrical contractors working in Northern Ireland, with approximately 100 not registered with a recognised certification body. This gap in regulation has led to a number of difficulties as identified by NIESLG:"

Edited by sheepie

Here in Scotland there is no requirement to be a member of a competent persons scheme, but building control WILL check your competence and qualifications.  Each time I have submitted an EIC in a new council area I can guarantee a phone call follows.  It seems once they are satisfied with your competence it must be put on a list as they never check again in the same council area.

See Scotland's one is interesting as on this website: run by which:

https://trustedtraders.which.co.uk/articles/electrical-installation-regulations-don-t-get-left-with-unregistered-electrical-work

In Scotland, notifiable work has to comply with the building-standards system. Any electrical work carried out under a building warrant (from your local authority) will either have to be approved by a registered installer (an approved certifier) or checked by the local authority.

but for NI it says

There is no equivalent statutory framework in Northern Ireland, although we’d still recommend you use a competent registered electrician for safety reasons.

I get that filling in the Cert above I would need to carry out testing but it leaves the caveat 'I believe to the best of my ability'  So If I buy and read the IET Guides to the BS7671:2018 and follow it to the best of my ability I can in full confidence said I followed the spirit of the regulations.

Edited by sheepie
  • Like 1

Mine asked for my sparks details and his certificate of completion. Didn't know I didn't need to use a qualified one but why would you not. I was lucky/unlucky enough that my build was chosen by the NIECIC for an audit on my sparks work. 

25 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

I'm in NI and BC didn't ask me for anything with regards electrics and getting sign off.

I was a little bemused by this.

Same when we did our extension. Had a spark to 90%, then I added some eternal sockets and extended a loop to my shed. BCO didn't care. I was worried I wasn't going to get signed off. 

Spoke to the Building Control - Their Response:

The installation of the Electrics does not fall under The Northern Ireland Building Regulations.

However we would advise that they are installed by a competent person. You may wish to speak with your proposed house insurer in case there may be any requirements form them.

For the record I have never had to put any electrical details down with any house insurance in the past.

Edited by sheepie
  • Like 1