Walk in wardrobe Sharps

canalsiderenovation

Today we had a a giggle. We had Sharps out. We asked them to come up with a walk in wardrobe/fitted furniture for our dressing room which is accessed from our pocket doors in our bedroom.

We were hoping to get some inspiration and use it as a starting point for ideas. We just asked for it to be open (knowing this would be the cheapest pricing) and maximise space.

Completely uninspiring design, no suggestions, no creativity. So who wants to hazard a guess at pricing. The wall with the wardrobes on is around 3.7m and the wall with the shelves and draws is 4.5m.

He didn't even attempt to put something in under the window along the right hand side  because it seemed there was no specific configuration of units that would work from his book of units.

16096037118516883529730231636256.thumb.jpg.5fa6c6adf3c846dec847c137bcd8bdb5.jpg

Completely useless...

So come on who wants to guess how much this creation would be?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

Teaser....................... Me and Mrs W just played a game with by not scrolling down until we had guessed!! 

Anyway - between £9.5 & £13k ?

You'd have been pretty close @Redoctoberbut we get the VAT paid for as part of their current offer so @Declan52 is pretty much spot on ...

16096044144558346638453074001034.thumb.jpg.e60f947b26a10bd8efe0d5076c3fdf45.jpg

I guess if it is fully fitted with trim panels and scribed end infills it is not double what you would pay.  If you got it for £5k I think OK.

Years ago I did kitchens.  I would only go to see qualified leads and would never leave a plan or a price I would talk through what they wanted and their budget and if not realistic I would leave it at that.  Showroom staff would give a price indication first.

It's the first place we had out so we have at least something to start with. It seems a lot for what it is, I mean there are no doors and it isn't a particularly fancy set up. We have made enquires at Trend (which I believe is part of Mereway) and also a local joinery company as well and are also messing around with Ikea Pax.

I bought stuff from this place and then had the builder's joiner fit it.

https://www.diyhomefit.co.uk

It was still crazy expensive compared to Ikea, but about half the price of Sharp's

I price up the cabinetry and it was around 2750, we paid around 1500 to fit a couple more units nd they all had doors as well as a pelmet and so on. So you could probably get it all done for £4000ish.

If you can make the Ikea units fit they are crazy cheap.

Edited by AliG
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AliG said:

I bought stuff from this place and then had the builder's joiner fit it.

https://www.diyhomefit.co.uk

It was still crazy expensive compared to Ikea, but about half the price of Sharp's

I price up the cabinetry and it was around 2750, we paid around 1500 to fit a couple more units nd they all had doors as well as a pelmet and so on. So you could probably get it all done for £4000ish.

If you can make the Ikea units fit they are crazy cheap.

Thanks I'll take a look at them. 

In 2008 when we built our last house we wanted something for the studio flat above our garage, wanted one of these beds that folded up into a unit on the wall, guy came out from strachan fitted furniture, measured up and produced a plan for the said bed , a single wardrobe and a bedside cabinet with a shelf above it, nearly dropped when he said £17k! I had had a quote for a bespoke fitted kitchen and it was a large kitchen same price, needless to say we didn’t get the bedroom!

11 minutes ago, recoveringbuilder said:

In 2008 when we built our last house we wanted something for the studio flat above our garage, wanted one of these beds that folded up into a unit on the wall, guy came out from strachan fitted furniture, measured up and produced a plan for the said bed , a single wardrobe and a bedside cabinet with a shelf above it, nearly dropped when he said £17k! I had had a quote for a bespoke fitted kitchen and it was a large kitchen same price, needless to say we didn’t get the bedroom!

Yes! The quote from Sharps was more than we paid for our ex display kitchen - with 7 Siemens appliances...... 

• Like 1

You could have a look at supplyonlybedrooms. There marginally cheaper than diyhomefit, but it's the exact same stuff. Same catalogue etc.

I found them to be really helpful. Happy to modify cabinets to specific sizes for certain areas. Even changed out the carcass side panels on a set of drawers to full gloss so that we could user it as a stand alone unit with additional end cladding panels.

We too had sharps price for units. Found them to be to expensive. I hate the way they quote for thing. With discount on top of discounts. And then offers that are "only" on the table of you sign up now. 

6 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

@AliG do you have any pictures of your finished bedroom furniture as I know you used DIY homefit.

I am very pleased with it. My biggest fear was that I would wrongly order something, I just allowed for the cabinets to be a few mm shorter than the space available.

Would be much cheaper without doors. Drawers also add considerably to the cost. Use wider units if possible, a 1200mm wide unit is much less than 2x the price of a 600m wide unit.

They are very flexible, the website allows you to adjust sizes. I ordered 680mm deep units as I think the standard 580 is a little skimpy, also 2400mm tall so I had lots of room for double hanging.

IMG_7087.JPG

IMG_6643_3.JPG

IMG_6641_3.JPG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Thanks @AliG I've sent off for some swatch samples for some ideas.

Here is our walk in wardrobe. I built this myself from IKEA kitchen units and a local granite supplier for the tops. The hanging area is IKEA black panels with Magnet/B&Q hanging system. Not sure of overall cost but around £2000 with no labour cost. The units are kitchen quality so have self close and rigid drawer runners. Granite will last anything my wife can spill on it and the hanging area looks really smart for not alot of money. Sorry photos aren't brilliant.

16097503940651992069355623663909.jpg

16097504283094397949043489963676.jpg

16097504572854599162235702332549.jpg

1609750478904286985472198885224.jpg

• Like 1

We used kitchen door workshop for our apartment and I was able to order the exact sizes needed for each space. I ordered the finished white MDF shelves etc separately. 

When we moved into this place (to be knocked down) 3 years ago, I just bought shop fittings - rails and shelving from eBay and think I'd explore the same for our future build. Sadly I expect there may be a lot more such listings during this difficult time as shops close. 

We have a full wall of wardrobes in each of our 4 bedrooms (3m ish) and a few additional in the walk through wardrobe to our master ensuite. Filled it with the Ikea PAX system (using fancy lacquered doors in some rooms, plain white in others) and got joiner to box them in with MDF painted to wall colour. Nice flexible layout and we've already tweaked it a few times (daughter wanted two plain doors replaced with full mirror equivalents etc).

Got sparky to put a socket in each void and have since added IKEA door activated lights in them all (gubbins hidden in the cavity above) and have put LED in conduit for both kids rooms around the whole room, again gubbins hidden in above wardrobe void - looks very smart, no visible cables at all.

Joiner did some nice bespoke hall cupboards for coats (downstairs) and linen (upstairs) in MDF but said that for bedrooms, Ikea would be a fraction of the price that he could ever do with timber & labour, especially if you want drawers, shoe racks etc.

However it is nigh on impossible to tweak the IKEA units due to their construction method. It's almost worth designing dressing rooms etc around the ikea standard dimensions in the same way you'd snap kitchen & utility rooms to multiples of 600mm.