Rough plaster above bath, help with cement board options

Hi all,

First time doing this type of job:

Took all the tiles off the wall, some of the plaster came with them as the wall plaster is damp.

I was planning on putting some cement boards up (No More Ply, Aquapanel etc) but had a couple of questions:

1. Can I use 6mm on walls? I dont have the space to come too far out from the wall as the bath needs to stay where it is

2. How should i prepare the rough wall (above the tap end of the bath) its got big chunks out... plaster? mortar? leave it? i plan on adhesive and screw fix panels directly onto the surface and then til onto that.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

Why is the plaster damp?

Are the walls solid, stud or dot and dab? Are you replacing the bath?

I would consider removing the plasterboard and then use Abacus elements / Wedi boards or similar.

Edited by wozza

25 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

new foam core boards some as thin as 12 mm. 

Got any product names? I've bought old fashioned aquapanel but as it's an upstairs bathroom I'm now thinking I'd be better with a lighter product to allow for the slightly heavier tiles I want. Structure is timber frame and I bet they only allowed for ceramic tiles in calcs

22 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

Got any product names? I've bought old fashioned aquapanel but as it's an upstairs bathroom I'm now thinking I'd be better with a lighter product to allow for the slightly heavier tiles I want. Structure is timber frame and I bet they only allowed for ceramic tiles in calcs

Jack o board. 

Marmox. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wozza said:

Why is the plaster damp?

Are the walls solid, stud or dot and dab? Are you replacing the bath?

I would consider removing the plasterboard and then use Abacus elements / Wedi boards or similar.

Unsure why plaster is damp, dodgy tiling, dodgy plumbing and dodgy everything but im still uncovering things a I only got keys two weeks ago. 

Yes will replace the bath and everything else.

There isnt any plasterboard, just plaster onto brick infill walls, 50's ground floor council flat

Bit of a big job to take all the plaster back to the brick, would rather patch it in with something, can certainly take off the damp plaster or let it dry out. havent dealt with this issue before

Result of shower over bath in constant use, bits of dodgy grout and sealants , once wet gets behind the tiles it cant dry out.

refitting a bath Tony’s way - here http://tonyshouse.readinguk.org/fitting-a-bath/

I would replaster wall, let it dry out, seal bath to wall, shower panel or tile walls , seal to bath 

I wish baths had upstands, I won’t fit shower trays that don’t have upstands and prefer wetroom style for all showers