Automated UFH

Got my HA code running . Heating for entire above ground if temp drops below 17c then off at 18c

I deliberately did a tight range . Heating came on just after midnight , turned off just after 9am . So effectively I ‘leaked’ 1 degree in 9 hours ( outside temp now around 7c ) 

Electric consumption for yesterday was around 12kwh .

Although not a particularly scientific test - that seems pretty good too me 

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

It is 

Not what you typed 

Just being a pedant as I am bored waiting for the rain to stop.

Sad (expletive deleted)er ! Get a life ! Go and sort Zoots heating , or door , or damp , or ......

All still going good in ‘experimental’ mode . What I have noticed is it can take many hours to drop 1 degree and of course many to go up 1 degree .

Therefore my narrow range is in fact really wide :

below 17 heating on

above 18 heating off

Never had ufh before so it’s a novelty .

Tempted now to change it to 17.5 . As half a degree is still a few hours of heating .

It does feel different aswell . Just feels warm everywhere. It’s quite strange compared to radiators; no hot nor cold space ; just even 

Edited by pocster
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

yep the warmth rising off the floor makes a lower temp much more palatable.

but a stat that only switches after a 1c drop and has no accelerator or fuzzy control is going to be hunting massively

make/model?

Remember you asked this question !! ?

I just have 1 aeotec 6 multi sensor reading amongst other things the temperature. It’s ceiling mounted . It only reports a change in temp ( so not polled ) seems to be 0.1c accuracy. Obviously at a later date I could do all kinds of heuristics and wobbly ( fuzzy ) logic . For now though it’s proving to the SWMBO god it’s functional and works !

Edited by pocster

Just now, dpmiller said:

be interesting to see just how much overshoot you'll get with straight on/off control. And how that changes with flow temp too

Yes . Impossible to tell at the moment. 1 temp sensor is dictating the whole on/off for the entire floor . Obviously I will have a sensor per room . From ‘feel’ it does seem to work well . But you sure as sh*t don’t want to leave the front door open for a few minutes!!!

5 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

be interesting to see just how much overshoot you'll get with straight on/off control. And how that changes with flow temp too

Isn’t that though exactly what a conventional wall mounted combi boiler stat does ? . You just set a temp ; it turns off when temp met then turns on when it’s below ...?

Just now, pocster said:

Isn’t that though exactly what a conventional wall mounted combi boiler stat does ? . You just set a temp ; it turns off when temp met then turns on when it’s below ...?

That’s all I’ve got for my ASHP and UFH. Seems to work. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Mine will have the SWMBO mark 2 controller. If it senses cold, it switches the UFH heating to FULL

Don’t you just fit one that isn’t actually connected to the heating system, so SWMBO can crank it up as often as she wants.

But you actually just control it from an app. ?

Edited by Gav_P
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gav_P said:

That’s all I’ve got for my ASHP and UFH. Seems to work. 

Yes . My gut instinct is that’s fine - whether the room temp overshoots or not . It’s how it ‘feels ‘

One of my tenants complained their room was cold and to turn the heating up ( I have an automated system I can control from my phone ) . Her room is set for 22c . When she text me it was 19c . So I told her I had turned it up . Later she thanked me ( I mean she text’d me not ‘thanked’ me ) . I guess convection is beyond some people’s understanding. You dirty b’stards 

3 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Don’t you just fit one that isn’t actually connected to the heating system, so SWMBO can crank it up as often as she wants.

But you actually just control it from an app. ?

Way ahead of you ! On the iPad / app what ever it will show ‘real’ temp + 3 !!

She’ll never (expletive deleted)ing know !

Winner winner chicken dinner 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

Way ahead of you ! On the iPad / app what ever it will show ‘real’ temp + 3 !!

She’ll never (expletive deleted)ing know !

Winner winner chicken dinner 

Another trick I have is a custom tape measure . Shows 6 inches on mine but really it’s only 3 . Who’s the man ! 

25 minutes ago, pocster said:

not quite. Mechanical stats had a resistor in them that heated the bimetal to get it to switch slightly ahead of time. Today's programmable stats have all sorts of rate-of-rise fuzzyness in, and turn off slightly below setpoint as they know there'll be a bit more heat added after the boiler is cut out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pocster said:

What was the question again ? ? 

my stat has a 3’ hysterisis , means it switches when 3’ difference is felt. Set to 21’ it switches off at 22.5 but switches on at 19.5, really need to find one that’s got a 1’ hysterisis.

49 minutes ago, pocster said:

I guess convection is beyond some people’s understanding

Yes, I have little temp devises around the house to PROVE it’s warm enough (she still asks me to light the woodstove tho).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joe90 said:

my stat has a 3’ hysterisis , means it switches when 3’ difference is felt. Set to 21’ it switches off at 22.5 but switches on at 19.5, really need to find one that’s got a 1’ hysterisis.

What room thermostats do you have?