Tanking ground floor slab

willbish

I got given one of these shower slot drains recently, thankfully not as a christmas present, to use on my ground floor wet room.

Looking at it more closely, Im wondering if I should also just pass it on to someone else...

I was intending to set it into a screed with falls. The 15mm lip around the edge will take a tile and adhesive, but how is any water supposed to reach the drain that gets behind the floor tiles?

Its a similar point that @Russell griffiths made a while back, is there any point tanking the floor if the water that gets past the tiles can't find its way to the drain?

Will that not look a bit modern in your place, not that I know what your place looks like I’m just going by the flagstones and sash windows. 

Ive just fitted one from mc alpine, you screed it in then tanking membrane goes over the top before tiles. 

Second house I have used them in, good bits of kit but a bit expensive for some plastic and a couple of stainless screws. 

Just had a browse through the McAlpine catalogue and confirmed what I was thinking, its crap. Anyone want a brand new boxed slot drain?!

Yeh it'll look sort of modern, any wetroom is going to look modern-ish, but no worries my Mrs will find some rustic junk to chuck in there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rustic junk. ??

i think tile style on the floor can make a wet room fit in, limestone in smaller sizes looks nice I think. 

I like the mcalpine stuff very very robust and some good design details. 

The one I chose you can raise the height of the tiles by adding in a plastic disc spacer, so if you change you mind on tiles after installation you just bump it up a bit. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

• 4 weeks later...

I've ditched the freebie linear drain for the McAlpine. Only £105 and that's without the trap.

IMG_20210123_114222.thumb.jpg.dedd993673815c5f5de3a890b0f1ee37.jpg

It does what I expected the freebie to do which is allow water under the tiles to find its way out.

Thinking about the tanking and decoupling now. Is a product that does both at the same worth look? Like TileSure

Or should I be treating this as two separate jobs? This is for a ground floor screed. I braved the eternal bath/boxing in thread a la @Onoff. Page 75 the floor tiles just appear without even a mention of decoupling?!

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Did I need it? Tiles straight on the A142 reinforced concrete. Too late now...

Ahh that'll be why. I was skipping a few pages if I'm honest. Read the posts where you were being persuaded to use a screed over a concrete mix. Thought you would've heeded! 

Saved yourself a job though

16 minutes ago, willbish said:

Ahh that'll be why. I was skipping a few pages if I'm honest. Read the posts where you were being persuaded to use a screed over a concrete mix. Thought you would've heeded! 

Saved yourself a job though

Me, heed? ?

I made my own screed rails bolted to the walls. Came out as flat as a pancake. The piss poor tiling is down to me, not an uneven floor! Tbf the floor is better than the walls...

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Me, heed? ?

I made my own screed rails bolted to the walls. Came out as flat as a pancake. The piss poor tiling is down to me, not an uneven floor! Tbf the floor is better than the walls...

Nice.

Im going for the 'union jack' with a central drain. Probably just use some roofing batten for the 4 rails

union jack.JPG