Surge protection

Russell griffiths

Is surge protection still a thing???

im planning location of sockets at the moment and have got to my wife’s office, it will be full of all computer type stuff, so should the computer go through a surge protection socket of some description. 

Also what about television and stuff located in the front room. 

It's basically a requirement of the 18th edition regs. The designer can avoid it if a risk assessment is carried out. Think though about how many things in a modern house could be fubar'd from a surge, be it from the supply side or atmospherics. From white goods to boiler controls along with the obvious mains connected routers, pcs etc.

You might be able to mod your cu and do it up front or just individual circuits. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, TonyT said:

spd your call but for all it costs

see attached link as an example

The link just gave delivery.

I was looking at swapping for these https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-12-module-6-way-populated-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit/4674g

The wiring is fairly new and there are 8 small flats in the building.

It’s the risk assessment part that could come to bite you in the backside if you didn’t do it or fit SPD and are renting them out and lightning damage occurred 

the website I linked to has surge protection and a mcb so takes 2 ways space in a consumer unit for less than £30

its the ‘fuse box range’

indeed they have a metal board  with dual RCD and SPD fitted starting from £97. Just require extra mcbs at £2 each.