Rainmaker

On 24/06/2023 at 21:47, MG-Wales said:

I'm resuscitating this thread as I think we are narrowing down our windows suppliers' choice to these 2 companies (Rationel Aura Plus, via a distributor, and Norrsken).

We have about 32 sqm of glazing (excluding rooflights, including one 3.6m wide lift and slide door to the rear) and although many windows are small (more frame than glazing), there are several which are fixed frames so cheaper. We have asked for all the openable ones to be tilt and turn because we like the idea of the double opening style and convenience of cleaning from the inside.

We have now received both quotes and the prices are comparable. At the moment we are around £950-£1000/sqm for supply and install (which seems a bit high, definitely over our initial budget). We are thinking of changing all the front elevation ones and the ones on the gable to outward opening (a bit more traditional and apparently frames should be 10-15% cheaper with a similar U-Value), while keeping inward opening on the garden elevation.

Norrsken seem be slightly better performing windows than Aura Plus (some 0.05 less in U-Values on average), probably down to the frames as both come with 48mm triple glazing. One big difference is Norrsken's lift and slide door which has 52mm glazing achieving 0.87 U, while Aura Plus has 42mm glazing on the openable panel, but only 36mm on the fixed panel which gives an overall 1.15 U which is a bit disappointing.

Has anybody had recent experience with one of these 2 windows manufacturer? Are prices in line with what others have been paying?

I'd need to work out the m2 price we paid for Rationel but they were about 40% cheaper than Norrsken from memory - maybe contact a few distributors and see what they can do? Our slider has a u-value of 1.05 (3m wide if that makes any difference). 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions & help, we have decided to go with Norrsken in the end.

Price has come down a bit when we changed half of the windows (all the front elevation) to outward opening instead of tilt and turn (both on their "300" frame series), still more than £850/m2 installed - however we do have small windows, so a relatively high frame to glazing ratio.

Rationel were more or less the same price for a like for like specification and in my opinion they had the advantage of the frames looking sleeker and more of similar design between outward and inward opening, however Norrsken had better U-Values (0.81 vs 0.95 average based on areas) and glazing specification (low-e glass).

8 hours ago, MG-Wales said:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions & help, we have decided to go with Norrsken in the end.

Price has come down a bit when we changed half of the windows (all the front elevation) to outward opening instead of tilt and turn (both on their "300" frame series), still more than £850/m2 installed - however we do have small windows, so a relatively high frame to glazing ratio.

Rationel were more or less the same price for a like for like specification and in my opinion they had the advantage of the frames looking sleeker and more of similar design between outward and inward opening, however Norrsken had better U-Values (0.81 vs 0.95 average based on areas) and glazing specification (low-e glass).

you won't be disappointed. (I hope!) we love our Norrsken windows. we also saved a lot of money by not having opening windows! a lot of ours are large fixed panes. we have very few opening windows.

On 23/07/2023 at 08:33, Thorfun said:

you won't be disappointed. (I hope!) we love our Norrsken windows. we also saved a lot of money by not having opening windows! a lot of ours are large fixed panes. we have very few opening windows.

Thanks. It was done keeping in mind having a few cross ventilation options, and of course escape windows for the bedrooms. But most of the small ones will be fixed as we have MVHR and we are trying to be as airtight as possible.

• Like 1

In the end we went with Norrsken, we are very pleased with the windows and the fitting team were excellent. A few snags remain to be sorted - they are due back next week. (We have not done the air test yet so that remains to be seen.) We chose them for some of the reasons you mention, EG roughly price equivalent & slightly better U values but our main reason was that they could do, and Rationel could not, the triangular opening (Turn before Tilt) we wanted at the front - so no glazing bars across the triangle and the glass to glass corner we wanted for our corner window. 

• Like 1