Rainmaker

Hi, 

Has anybody got any recent quotes from Norrsken or Rationel Aura Plus windows? We are looking at 45 sq m of glazing and need them to be alu timber clad and triple glazed. Trying to work out supply and fit price per metre. 

Also, what sort of lead times were given to you? 

Appreciate any help! 

3 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Can only help a bit, I have norrsken and really like them, went to look at rational and cannot understand why so many people buy them. 

@Russell griffiths - Thank you. How long have you had Norrsken? Are you able to give me a rough idea of how much did it cost you from a per sq mtr price? 

I can't help with up to date figures but I too am about to seek some prices for Rationel for our sun room windows.

Last time, when we bought the windows for the main part of the house, Rationel won on price hands down compared to any of the other quality window suppliers that bothered to quote.

@Rainmaker cannot help with prices, I have absolutely no idea how many m I have, I had a budget and they came in under budget with better spec glass than I thought I would get, so I bought them. 

They have been in since January, but we are not in the house yet, I fitted them myself apart from the lift n slide door, and I wish I had done that as they charged me £2000 to fit that and a big triangle window

the fitters where nice lads, I just didn’t like spending £2000 for one days work. 

Hi,

My Rationel Aura Plus quote inc. fitting works out at £551.95 per m for 38m2 of windows alone. They were also quoting for a sliding door and a front and back door, so maybe the price per m2 for glazing alone might be slightly higher if there was less in the job for them.

Thanks, Rob.

7 hours ago, Rmawdsley said:

Hi,

My Rationel Aura Plus quote inc. fitting works out at £551.95 per m for 38m2 of windows alone. They were also quoting for a sliding door and a front and back door, so maybe the price per m2 for glazing alone might be slightly higher if there was less in the job for them.

Thanks, Rob.

Thank you Rob.

6 hours ago, trialuser said:

Norrsken, 65 square M, inc 2 entrance doors and a 4M lift and slide, 21 items, 30k ish inc vat, 8 weeks to deliver, no fitting, very pleased with them, great company to deal with.

Hi, I just messaged you. 

15 hours ago, trialuser said:

Norrsken, 65 square M, inc 2 entrance doors and a 4M lift and slide, 21 items, 30k ish inc vat, 8 weeks to deliver, no fitting, very pleased with them, great company to deal with.

@trialuser - Hi, was this for double glazed or triple glazed? 

29 minutes ago, trialuser said:

Triple.

Just seen you are in South Oxon, we have just moved fron Upton near Didcot to SW Scotland, small world.

Oh small world indeed! Do you have an Insta page? Would love to follow you. Ours is attached - Viewthrutrees  

My wife used to work in Didcot. 

4E3D4E5E-783C-4D2C-AC00-F610B0782AF3.jpeg

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

We moved from Drayton St Leonard to the Highlands 17 years ago.

@ProDave

Know it well,  we had a friend there and we used to take the kids paddling in the ford when they were small, they are in their 20's now so you were probably there at the time.

I wanted the Highlands but the boss won with D&G, that and the midges.

@Russell griffiths

Windows - I too hated paying over 3K for four blokes and a spider crane for a day to lift my windows into position so I can now level and seal them, but it seems to be the going rate. I suppose you are also paying for them to take the risk of breakages.

@Rainmaker sorry no modern social meeedya stuff, yours looks a big project, good luck.

2 minutes ago, trialuser said:

@ProDave

Know it well,  we had a friend there and we used to take the kids paddling in the ford when they were small, they are in their 20's now so you were probably there at the time.

I wanted the Highlands but the boss won with D&G, that and the midges.

Yes in the summer we used to swim in the river at the ford.  I have yet to find a river up here warm enough to swim in.  I wonder who your friends are?  PM if you want to.

I lived there from 1990 to 2003

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, ProDave said:

I have just got my quote in from Rationel for my sun room windows.

For 4 windows and one sliding patio door set, a total of 20.5 square metres of glass, £7040

Now off to negotiate........

How much of that was for the sliding doors? If you dont mind me asking.

1 minute ago, john0wingnut said:

Thanks.

Kloeber have quoted me £8500 + VAT for a 2.5 x 2.1 slider with one fixed pane. That is a very large difference

When I got my initial quoted for house windows (not the sun room windows I am now dealing with) the most expensive quotes were > 2 times the cheapest,  and there was no reason to it as the most expensive quote I got, others have had reasonable quotes from.

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

When I got my initial quoted for house windows (not the sun room windows I am now dealing with) the most expensive quotes were > 2 times the cheapest,  and there was no reason to it as the most expensive quote I got, others have had reasonable quotes from.

It is all rather interesting, to say the least. I assume thats through your local Rationel distributor?

• 2 years later...

I'm resuscitating this thread as I think we are narrowing down our windows suppliers' choice to these 2 companies (Rationel Aura Plus, via a distributor, and Norrsken).

We have about 32 sqm of glazing (excluding rooflights, including one 3.6m wide lift and slide door to the rear) and although many windows are small (more frame than glazing), there are several which are fixed frames so cheaper. We have asked for all the openable ones to be tilt and turn because we like the idea of the double opening style and convenience of cleaning from the inside.

We have now received both quotes and the prices are comparable. At the moment we are around £950-£1000/sqm for supply and install (which seems a bit high, definitely over our initial budget). We are thinking of changing all the front elevation ones and the ones on the gable to outward opening (a bit more traditional and apparently frames should be 10-15% cheaper with a similar U-Value), while keeping inward opening on the garden elevation.

Norrsken seem be slightly better performing windows than Aura Plus (some 0.05 less in U-Values on average), probably down to the frames as both come with 48mm triple glazing. One big difference is Norrsken's lift and slide door which has 52mm glazing achieving 0.87 U, while Aura Plus has 42mm glazing on the openable panel, but only 36mm on the fixed panel which gives an overall 1.15 U which is a bit disappointing.

Has anybody had recent experience with one of these 2 windows manufacturer? Are prices in line with what others have been paying?

If you want another yardstick for pricing, speak to Simon Chadwick at SMC. He's on site sorting another window companies disasters out for me atm, great guy.

FYI, Rational are one of the more 'bread & butter' options. Perfectly fine afaic, and I've seen them installed in a number of my new-build clients' homes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MG-Wales said:

I'm resuscitating this thread as I think we are narrowing down our windows suppliers' choice to these 2 companies (Rationel Aura Plus, via a distributor, and Norrsken).

We have about 32 sqm of glazing (excluding rooflights, including one 3.6m wide lift and slide door to the rear) and although many windows are small (more frame than glazing), there are several which are fixed frames so cheaper. We have asked for all the openable ones to be tilt and turn because we like the idea of the double opening style and convenience of cleaning from the inside.

We have now received both quotes and the prices are comparable. At the moment we are around £950-£1000/sqm for supply and install (which seems a bit high, definitely over our initial budget). We are thinking of changing all the front elevation ones and the ones on the gable to outward opening (a bit more traditional and apparently frames should be 10-15% cheaper with a similar U-Value), while keeping inward opening on the garden elevation.

Norrsken seem be slightly better performing windows than Aura Plus (some 0.05 less in U-Values on average), probably down to the frames as both come with 48mm triple glazing. One big difference is Norrsken's lift and slide door which has 52mm glazing achieving 0.87 U, while Aura Plus has 42mm glazing on the openable panel, but only 36mm on the fixed panel which gives an overall 1.15 U which is a bit disappointing.

Has anybody had recent experience with one of these 2 windows manufacturer? Are prices in line with what others have been paying?

we have Norrsken windows. very happy with them and the service and install we got. install was handled by Norrsken so everything was under the one company. think we were nearer the £600/m2 iirc but we've been through so much since they were installed Dec 2021 that I forget things that have gone before!

I did write a blog about our windows though. you can see it here.

• Like 1