Cost per m2 to first fix

Rossek9

21 minutes ago, Rossek9 said:

Thanks for the information Barney.

Ecology we are speaking to at the moment and trying to get our costings together. How come they came to £92 per square meter? 

Is the frame and foundations from MBC by any chance?

Have you got quotes for the block, render ect?

I suspect Barney is referring to ecology in terms of surveys for newts, bats, badgers etc, rather than the Building Society  of the same name!

We also used the Ecology BS for a small mortgage and found them very nice to deal with - real human beings who consider each application on its merits, rather than script-following call centre types that we encountered with other lenders.

If I recall correcttly (please shoot me down @Barney12 if I am suffering from a vivid imagination), Barney's Bat Hotel is the leading operator in the 5* segment of the Pipistrelle Holiday Market.

Think Soho House for bats. 1.8m head room. Own private entrance. House cleaning provided annually. And so on.

image.jpeg

Perhaps we should submit it for an Award :ph34r:, and guided tours could be offered to enthusiastic Bat Men flying in on batwinged microlights.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I suspect Barney is referring to ecology in terms of surveys for newts, bats, badgers etc, rather than the Building Society  of the same name!

We also used the Ecology BS for a small mortgage and found them very nice to deal with - real human beings who consider each application on its merits, rather than script-following call centre types that we encountered with other lenders.

xDxD I did wonder as their application fee is £300 :$

I have found them very good to deal with so hopefully all goes smoothly.

We are due to complete on the plot in the next week.......after 1 year of planning!!!

1 hour ago, Mikey_1980 said:

Good luck with Ecology and completing on the plot, we used them and they were absolutely brilliant throughout the whole process.

I hear good things about them if you can meet their specification requirements.

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

If I recall correcttly (please shoot me down @Barney12 if I am suffering from a vivid imagination), Barney's Bat Hotel is the leading operator in the 5* segment of the Pipistrelle Holiday Market.

Think Soho House for bats. 1.8m head room. Own private entrance. House cleaning provided annually. And so on.

I really wish it was a vivid imagination.! :) Yes, that cost includes:

1. Ecology surveys (multiple)

2. Mitigation planning and the various reports

3. The costs associated with soft stripping (I.e. remove each roof tile one by one) and catching each and every bat and moving them to their new home.

4. An approximate "over" cost of the workshop with its various roost provisions etc.

The best bit.............

.............They only stayed one night and none have ever been seen again >:(

Here is a more recent picture

Completed_Workshop.jpg

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Do you have a current figure for Humberside? -20% would do very nicely.

-6% approx on SPONs prices. 

The difference is that price is a price ex builders mark up so you don’t have management  and profit on that as it’s a cost book not a sell book. 

You negate this by employing subs direct - that means you become the main contractor at zero income and profit to yourself which is your saving. 

All my trades - North Midlands - come in between £120 and £160 per day, none were VAT registered. On a build where I can’t claim VAT anyway (conversion and extension) this equates to a decent saving for me. 

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

-6% approx on SPONs prices. 

Ok thanks I was hoping for 8% which was a figure I saw in a magazine web page. I am presently going through The House Builders Bible scaling costs for my smaller design, then subtracting some labour costs I can do and finally there is the regional 6% discount.  Does this only apply to labour?

Beware that some costs just don’t scale !! Spending £150 getting a QS view of your plans may be money well spent. 

Some materials come down but the best way to do that is haggle !!

If you are in Humberside then open an account with MKM and get to know your branch director well - those guys have saved me on a number of occasions and are always willing to help, especially self builders. 

On 1/30/2017 at 15:52, Barney12 said:

I really wish it was a vivid imagination.! :) Yes, that cost includes:

1. Ecology surveys (multiple)

2. Mitigation planning and the various reports

3. The costs associated with soft stripping (I.e. remove each roof tile one by one) and catching each and every bat and moving them to their new home.

4. An approximate "over" cost of the workshop with its various roost provisions etc.

The best bit.............

.............They only stayed one night and none have ever been seen again >:(

Here is a more recent picture

Completed_Workshop.jpg

You are not alone, we are providing 72sqm of floor space and 1.8m to the eaves, creating a false hip and they also require a heater......it goes on and on. Same ecologist.

43 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Ok thanks I was hoping for 8% which was a figure I saw in a magazine web page. I am presently going through The House Builders Bible scaling costs for my smaller design, then subtracting some labour costs I can do and finally there is the regional 6% discount.  Does this only apply to labour?

A thought from one who has just been stung

Get quotes for utilities before you commit

Still waiting on water and sewerage from Yorkshire water - but have to pay to even get a quote from them.  I really don't think they should be too bad as water supply is within a yard of my boundary and I am installing a pump to public sewer on my property 

Electricity however has been a different matter.  Surrounded by properties but I have to pay £8600 from the nearest main.  
The more quotes you can get for things that HAVE to happen before you start the easier it is to be accurate

AND as was said before - some costs don't scale.  Utilities will cost the same whatever the size of your build (within reason)

@Rossek9

our build was a small 71sqm 2 bed bungalow on a site with a 1:8 slope. Overall finished cost was £1,350 per sqm. Averaged U values of 0.15 for walls roof and floor + 3G windows. The cost to get from a bare hillside to a weather tight shell inc roof finish, external wall cladding and windows installed was £675 per sqm.