Alu clad timber or pvc

lizzie

I tried a UK supplier, Tree Craft who are very close to use. Very disappointed that their ex vat and ex delivery price was higher than Rational's price inclusive of vat and delivery.

Don't rule out the foreign suppliers, get several quotes.

On 2/1/2017 at 15:56, lizzie said:

I started off wanting a glass corner and bifolds...have been talked into sliders by every builder and architect on the planet. I'm afraid french doors won't do it for me and wouldnt look right in my build.  Who could have thought windows could cost so much!

Sorry to pop into the conversation  so late to this but as supplier used to urge clients to go with French doors or a lift slide door (used to anyway). I wouldn't recommend tilt and slide doors in the UK. People just don't know how to use them and it causes more call outs because of incorrect use.

However, if you want bifolds in the future or anyone else. There is a great bifold door supplier from Germany (won't mention name as I'm not wanting to promote them PM for details).

They are Passive House certified and suitable and far ahead of any other bi fold system I know of.

Edited by craig

Thanks but a bit late for me, whole house ordered from internorm now.....eye wateringly expensive but they are very nice, well the demo ones are so hope ours are too,

Liz

On 10/06/2017 at 20:28, craig said:

Sorry to pop into the conversation  so late to this but as supplier used to urge clients to go with French doors or a lift slide door (used to anyway). I wouldn't recommend tilt and slide doors in the UK. People just don't know how to use them and it causes more call outs because of incorrect use.

However, if you want bifolds in the future or anyone else. There is a great bifold door supplier from Germany (won't mention name as I'm not wanting to promote them PM for details).

They are Passive House certified and suitable and far ahead of any other bi fold system I know of.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/07/2018 at 12:04, gravelld said:

Could you expand on this?

On 10/06/2017 at 20:28, craig said:

People just don't know how to use them and it causes more call outs because of incorrect use.

That's basically it, not knowing how to use the system causes more call outs due to broken hardware etc. When it's down to incorrect use, it's a chargeable call out and can be expensive for repeated visits and replacement parts. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, have just joined this forum & I realise this thread is now over a year old but my project is just starting. I've read all the comments & they are so useful, thank you. I'm renovating a Grade 2 listed house & hope to get permission to glaze a 3-bay linhay so all comments about sliding doors & suppliers most welcome. Overall length 8 metres, height 2.05m. In your experience, if one bay is fixed glass, does that make it cheaper? I find suppliers are a bit coy about giving even a ballpark figure. Don't think the Conservation Officer will allow any uPVC, I'm happy with aluminium.

@KernowGran welcome to the forum.

Ive lived in a conservation area previously and we needed to replace all the windows in a house we renovated. I borrowed a shop sample of a uPVC sliding sash window to show the conservation officer. Thankfully he was impressed with them as reproductions and allowed their use in our home.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2018 at 16:20, Tiny said:

Hi Triassic

did you find anyone that has used Chapelhows in Cliburn for Windows? I am in Cumbria and would be gat to use a local manufacturer.

I am going to visit them on Friday. 

@Tiny  Sorry about the delay in replying, I’ve only just noticed your question, if you put an @ in front of my name it alerts me to a question.

I’m currently sat in a house in Newby Bridge with Chapelhow windows and they look very nice. I’m in the final throws of choosing a window supplier for my own build,  for me it’s all down to a quality versus price decision.

Edited by Triassic

If part of the bay is fixed it will be cheaper than an opening unit, if it is 90 degrees return on the bay it will be cheaper than other angled returns.

Difficult to say price wise, as the actual sizes of the bay itself are not mentioned and what your ideally looking for within the bay.

Ballpark, you mentioned slider. Is that to be within the bay? Without slider in bay and saying fixed at 4m with 2x 2m returns and triple glazed timber/alu & 2m height. You could be looking 4k/5k plus.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Triassic said:

@KernowGran welcome to the forum.

Ive lived in a conservation area previously and we needed to replace all the windows in a house we renovated. I borrowed a shop sample of a uPVC sliding sash window to show the conservation officer. Thankfully he was impressed with them as reproductions and allowed their use in our home.

Thanks, they seem to vary a great deal. I haven't yet met one that will allow uPVC on a listed building.

14 minutes ago, KernowGran said:

Thanks, they seem to vary a great deal. I haven't yet met one that will allow uPVC on a listed building.

You right, their first option is to get the originals renovated and their second option is like for like replacement.

luckily, although  we were in a conservation area, the building wasn’t listed.

Edited by Triassic

2 minutes ago, lizzie said:

@KernowGran  we had. grade 2 listed cottage in a conservation area.  People after us replaced with  upvc without getting permission.....it was very well done though and eventually they allowed it to remain.  I think it depends on the quality of the units and the officers involved.

You're right, it depends on the officers. I am 'watching' an enforcement notice locally for uPVC windows to be removed & original wooden reinstated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, craig said:

If part of the bay is fixed it will be cheaper than an opening unit, if it is 90 degrees return on the bay it will be cheaper than other angled returns.

Difficult to say price wise, as the actual sizes of the bay itself are not mentioned and what your ideally looking for within the bay.

Ballpark, you mentioned slider. Is that to be within the bay? Without slider in bay and saying fixed at 4m with 2x 2m returns and triple glazed timber/alu & 2m height. You could be looking 4k/5k plus.

Hi Craig, Thanks for your reply. There may be a little confusion about my use of 'bay'. It's a straight 8 m opening a bit like a wide car port, with two oak posts at 1/3, 2/3 along dividing it into 3 roughly equal 'windows'. Architect has suggested that all three doors slide but I think that will be expensive but I don't know. He has suggested Internorm, too. I just wanted to look at alternative suppliers so I've looked at Rationel. Someone mentioned European suppliers - names would be welcome.

If the posts are diving it up then you are looking at 3 seperate units. 

If the middles is fixed then you could have one slider, it would need to sit in front or behind the oak posts (dependin detail). With the sliding sections at either end sliding over the middle fixed section. Alternatively 2 sliders either end with a fixed window in the middle. 

Your probably looking at £10/12k.

• Like 1

@KernowGran how wide are your individual bays...is the 8m overall including the posts?

Architect may be recommending Internorm because they do big panes on the sliders which some others don't. Rationel, Velfac & ideal Combi all gave me quotes but none could do exactly what I wanted except Internorm and part of that was size of glass.

Am I right in thinking a Linhay is a sort of barn? If so do you need 3g will it be insulated and airtight to that level to warrant it?  Much more choice if only 2g and trickle vents.

1 hour ago, craig said:

If the posts are diving it up then you are looking at 3 seperate units. 

If the middles is fixed then you could have one slider, it would need to sit in front or behind the oak posts (dependin detail). With the sliding sections at either end sliding over the middle fixed section. Alternatively 2 sliders either end with a fixed window in the middle. 

Your probably looking at £10/12k.

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm tending to the 2 sliders & fixed middle.

17 minutes ago, lizzie said:

@KernowGran how wide are your individual bays...is the 8m overall including the posts?

Architect may be recommending Internorm because they do big panes on the sliders which some others don't. Rationel, Velfac & ideal Combi all gave me quotes but none could do exactly what I wanted except Internorm and part of that was size of glass.

Am I right in thinking a Linhay is a sort of barn? If so do you need 3g will it be insulated and airtight to that level to warrant it?  Much more choice if only 2g and trickle vents.

Hi Lizzie, Thanks for your response - I've read some of your posts & they've been helpful, thank you. Yes a linnhay/linney is a cart shed or hay  barn, ours is attached to the house so will be a 'garden room' aka conservatory, but with a proper roof. The whole length is 8m & the posts support a lintel on the open side. It's stone built & a lovely space. The glazing will  be inside (behind the posts) so as to be less obvious. I think you're right about Internorm being the go-to place for large panes. I'm planning Kingspan to the vaulted roof. I'm undecided about 3g or 2g at present - probably 2g as this isn't the main living area but depends on costs, U values etc.

• Like 1