Avoiding poorly designed, fancy(price wise?) devices

puntloos

I'm at the stage of selecting devices, and frankly I'm worried about high quality stuff with terrible user interfaces while due to covid we can't really go to the stores.

Some examples from my rental:

- My Neff microwave requires 4 buttonpresses to turn on the microwave. (the primary stupid part is some main function selector you have to push, then push again to turn on microwave mode, every-single-time)

- My Indesit hob on 'max' takes about 5 seconds to stop heating a thing (either holding the "-" button for it to slowly go 9-8-7-6..., or holding the power button for 5 seconds). Surely a proper hob should have a FAST way turn off heat. 

- My randombrand dishwasher requires you to turn it fully off, turn it fully on again, and then re-select the eco program we always do, by pressing the 'program' button 5 times.

SIGH

How do we avoid these pitfalls? Video reviews? Are there any good review sites that make sure to check this stuff?

I've got an induction hob in my holiday home which I really hate - you have to unlock it every single time you have to increase/reduce heat. It locks itself out in mad panic that a random kid might be around. Really annoying. Still prefer gas hobs - but no option as holiday flat has no gas mains central.

1 hour ago, puntloos said:

- My Neff microwave requires 4 buttonpresses to turn on the microwave. (the primary stupid part is some main function selector you have to push, then push again to turn on microwave mode, every-single-time)

If that's a Neff combi-oven you're describing, you may be able to change the settings so that microwave becomes the primary function; one press to wake it up, one press to set it running on ours! 

• Like 1

A bit like the loft ladder I just installed.  Okay I was influenced by it being cheap, but all the reviews were good,

I have never seen such a dangerous poorly designed thing.  Once you lower the door and start to tilt the ladder it starts sliding down towards you and you have to be lucky / adept with the pole to stop it sliding down and hitting you.

the last one I fitted had an elegant simple catch that meant it did not slide until you unlatched it.  It never dawned on me someone would ommit something so basic and essential from the design.  I made my own mechanism to secure it and make it safer.

On the subject of complicated ovens, I had to fit a new oven in a rental property.  I recommended a mid range one from Howdens, the Landlord said "it's too cheap and basic" so I sent him to Howdens to choose and he chose one twice the price but boy it was complicated to use.  the tenant said "why could he not just have fitted the cheap one?"

1 hour ago, Roundtuit said:

If that's a Neff combi-oven you're describing, you may be able to change the settings so that microwave becomes the primary function; one press to wake it up, one press to set it running on ours! 

I had a very similar neff in our previous one, where that actually worked but in this one it didn't. It's perhaps worth re-checking, but even if this folly is fixable, neffs are still very dumb (for example the power settings are 1000, 680, 360, 180 and 90 watt I think. WHYYYY - why not 1000, 500 and 100. At least you can do some mental math on how long it'll take.. etc 

15 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Perhaps worthwhile for the fanciest things but pretty tough to try to imagine if something is designed poorly without having it in your hands

seems it would help with your button and menu issues?

6 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

I looked at the manual again, no luck. I don't think the function exists - at least not in 'basic settings' etc (which is already super dodgy going into C10 mode etc etc)

It amazes me how hard some manufacturers must try to make it difficult. 

My standard dryer has loads of functions. It takes a while to understand which one just give me low heat. Why can't they just have the three heat settings as per your clothes instructions on the dryer and a time to set it on. 

Same as my new washing machine... baumatic (never buy one) 99.9% of the time I want 30 degrees with a 1400 spin. That's it...that will do everything. The other 1% I might need a hand wash function. But no...I have to select specific function and then click 4 buttons to get to 30 degrees and 1400 spin. 

All microwaves should go for 30 seconds when you push 1 button (then keep pressing for more time). Its ridiculous if they don't. 

We really don't need all these smart options. They aren't smart at all. 

Things need to go back to being basic. 

Also just as a point of note...anyone who has a Bluetooth enabled toothbrush should be shot. 

Edited by SuperJohnG

I've spent about 3 hours trying to work out how to replace a belt on my mower. It appears to be topologically impossible.  There are rods for the accelerator and brake that go through the belt and neither rod can easily be disconnected at either end. So in effect you have two interlocked rings. I'm sure Tommy Cooper could get them apart and back together but its defeated me. Today I cut the rods and will sleeve and weld them back together after fitting a new belt.

2 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

It amazes me how hard some manufacturers must try to make it difficult. 

My standard dryer has loads of functions. It takes a while to understand which one just give me low heat. Why can't they just have the three heat settings as per your clothes instructions on the dryer and a time to set it on. 

Same as my new washing machine... baumatic (never buy one) 99.9% of the time I want 30 degrees with a 1400 spin. That's it...that will do everything. The other 1% I might need a hand wash function. But no...I have to select specific function and then click 4 buttons to get to 30 degrees and 1400 spin. 

All microwaves should go for 30 seconds when you push 1 button (then keep pressing for more time). Its ridiculous if they don't. 

We really don't need all these smart options. They aren't smart at all. 

Things need to go back to being basic. 

Also just as a point of note...anyone who has a Bluetooth enabled toothbrush should be shot. 

I find the key with microwaves is never to spend more than £50 on one.

16 hours ago, puntloos said:

requires 4 buttonpresses to turn on the microwave

I think my Panasonic Combi oven is similar.

And the grill function is back to front.  Power 1 is max Power 3 is lowest.  Imagine if that was an amplifier, Spinal Tap would have lost the joke "Turn it down to 11".

My Bosch washing machine is:

Turn the knob to select program

Set timer on delay capacitance button (that looks like the other 3, temperature, spin speed and one I have no idea what it does).

Touch On/Off.

It has another 4 buttons, but I ignore them.

And every time you want to start washing, you have to go though the whole cycle again.  You can't just reload, put in powder and press On/Off (like I could on my old Bosch, the Hotpoint, the Hoover and the Candys).

Induction hob (Russel Hobbs) is easy though, it is like Windows.  Always press the Start button, then select the zone, set power, set time (optional), if you need to adjust, press zone and then power.

Ah yes microwaves.  When we chose our appliances, we wanted an oven and a microwave that truly matched the look of the oven.  Now when you go looking for "built in" microwaves there are 2 sorts.  Those that are just a free standing microwave with a face plate fitted to make it look a bit like it is built in, and they look carp.  The only other sort you can get is the "combination oven" that is a microwave and will operate as a normal oven.  So that is what we have so it looks right.

BUT there is no bloody turntable.  I could not find a combination oven that has a turntable, and using it as a microwave you soon find out why someone thought it a good idea to put a turntable in a microwave.

It certainly is possible to have a turntable in a combination oven as I have seen old ones that had them, it's just that they seem to be omitted from present ones.

But why can't you just buy a microwave, on it's own, that is designed to be properly built in with the same appearance as an oven?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

But why can't you just buy a microwave, on it's own, that is designed to be properly built in with the same appearance as an oven?

You can, my Mother has one, trouble is, it cost about £1800.

Turntables are not needed these days (well for about 30 years) as they can magically swirl the microwaves around now.

My Panasonic NN-CD78KS has a limit to how close it can be boxed in (there also needs to be a ventilation gap for the hob), so I have left it free standing, not what I planned, and still may put it under the hob with a cooling fan (why I got a current sensing switch).

I have though, moved the bin to under the hob, though I still, after 16 years, not get used it not being by the door, but my pirouettes are coming on nicely.

• Haha 1

I have a Whirlpool microwave that does three beeps when it has finished.  It continues with the 3 beeps every 20 seconds and carries on forever until the door has been opened.  Drives me mad, as what is the worst thing that could happen?  Something cools down?

11 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

I think some complication may be necessary for washing machines (the only word in the world where the German is shorter than the English?)

How else will you wash your Hermes Silk "Moderne Wash" scarf?

Can you live without your "velvety wash scarf. Washed by our artisans' expert hands, the scarf is transformed into a relaxed, mattified, and ever so slightly faded piece, gaining an irresistible downy touch. This exclusive process makes each scarf unique and can slightly alter its dimensions"? Life would be meaningless.

(Tr: They all shrink slightly differently, so you know that yours is unique.)

(Puts on tin hat, to avoid being kebabbed by all the BHers with cupboards full of Hermes scarves.)

• 9 months later...
On 28/12/2020 at 09:11, ProDave said:

Ah yes microwaves.  When we chose our appliances, we wanted an oven and a microwave that truly matched the look of the oven.  Now when you go looking for "built in" microwaves there are 2 sorts.  Those that are just a free standing microwave with a face plate fitted to make it look a bit like it is built in, and they look carp.  The only other sort you can get is the "combination oven" that is a microwave and will operate as a normal oven.  So that is what we have so it looks right.

BUT there is no bloody turntable.  I could not find a combination oven that has a turntable, and using it as a microwave you soon find out why someone thought it a good idea to put a turntable in a microwave.

I’m going through this exact dilemma now. Found an affordable set of three Zanussi appliances which should all match each other, was about to order it but my wife pointed out there is no turntable. Anyone ever fitted an aftermarket turntable to a microwave?

8 hours ago, Adsibob said:

was about to order it but my wife pointed out there is no turntable. Anyone ever fitted an aftermarket turntable to a microwave

Commercial ones don't have turntables.  They work well.

I am told that they don't need them as there is sophisticated electronic jiggery pokery that swirls the magnetic fields around.

And you can leave a spoon in a Tupperware full of beans and they still work.

37 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Commercial ones don't have turntables.  They work well.

I am told that they don't need them as there is sophisticated electronic jiggery pokery that swirls the magnetic fields around.

And you can leave a spoon in a Tupperware full of beans and they still work.

Indeed, the which? Magazine review of microwaves doesn’t speak negatively about the lack of turntable, but it just seems counterintuitive to me:

8A113B7D-509F-4A25-94E0-6BD8B0A2DD20.thumb.jpeg.23bbef892a8e3b4c4e10dddb4ca785e5.jpeg

We have a flat bed Samsung commercial microwave. If you remove the base panel to clean it, underneath is a spindle with what is basically a steel pressed “fan” that I am assuming acts like a rotating reflector for the microwaves. 

Some designers justify increased prices with increased functionality normally accompanied by increased complexity. I don't need my microwave to be online, I need fast hot food.

We won't be going integrated for the likes of a microwave. I'm not a fan of the integrated look and we have space on the counter. My brother went integrated and the appliance he chose had a £200 surround so he had a local fabricator make a stainless one for £60. Looks very slick.

Edited by MortarThePoint