South Wales double extension and full gut

Gareththesparky

Morning all and a happy Christmas Eve,

just bought second house, this one luckily has much more garden and side access,  bought first one full refurbed and double extended it in 2007, and will be doing the same here hopefully learning from past mistakes and taking full advantage of this forum for advice, ideas and general moral when it gets tough!

hoping to include some photovoltaic panels to heat the water, and a fairly smart/basic controls function that’s not gonna break the bank to control some hikvision cameras, lighting, underfloor and radiatior heating and maybe the odd blind....anyway if you’ve any advice or ideas then please fire away, look forward to getting to know you all 

Gareth (and Charlotte)

AF8A1A31-1519-478D-9165-E874BD02F448.jpeg

It’s definitely big enough Rusell, roughly 1/3 of an acre but there’s a stream on the perimeter which may impact a further plot, but to be honest it’s our ideal location so would rather turn it into our ideal home. 

popped in later and took this video to show size of garden. Looking forward to getting a machine stuck into it 

What video format is that, because my up to date Firefox browser only "sees" it as an audio clip?

It is well worth evaluating if it could be a plot for a new house, leaving the old one as it is, it could potentially give you your forever home in your perfect location but built to a much higher standard than the old house.

Perhaps a sketch of the plot layout or a map view?

4 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Works perfectly on my iPhone ?

Yes but what video format and where is it hosted.  It is not a criticism but it annoys me that what I believe to be an up to date browser on an up to date OS cannot view it.

Anyone else cannot see the video?

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Yes but what video format and where is it hosted.  It is not a criticism but it annoys me that what I believe to be an up to date browser on an up to date OS cannot view it.

Anyone else cannot see the video?

I expect it’s just attached directly from a phone photo library, probably in mp4 or mov 

It's a 35MB .MOV file.

I have downloaded it and tried to play it directly from the OS, not within a browser

VLC media player just shows a static image of the back of your house and won't play. Parole media player shows a black screen.

SM player plays it, but with a horribly stretched out aspect ratio.  I think part of the problem is it's a massive 3840 by 2160 pixel video. Filming at a lower resolution might help?

Anyway having now seen it, it reinforces my view that you have a house  plot there and to extend an old house is not doing justice to the site, so I would have a long hard think and sketch of what you could actually fit on the site.

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Filming at a lower resolution might help?

Or get yourself an iPhone ?

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

you have a house  plot there

I second this. But this is only if you want it as an investment... if you want to live there, a second house isn’t ideal.

2 hours ago, Gareththesparky said:

It’s definitely big enough Rusell, roughly 1/3 of an acre but there’s a stream on the perimeter which may impact a further plot, but to be honest it’s our ideal location so would rather turn it into our ideal home. 

popped in later and took this video to show size of garden. Looking forward to getting a machine stuck into it 

IMG_6266.MOV 35.36 MB · 1 download

Don't know if you fancy it but a paid for Flickr account is great for storing and sharing unlimited pictures and video. Slick looking but a doddle to use.

Filmed on a iPhone and uploaded from photo album, 

I agree there’s potential for another house, but that doesn’t suit our needs. A decent sized 3/4 bedroom with large driveway, 3 car drive, carport, garage and garden is the   Long term plan and given I paid less than 150 for it regardless of standard I’ll never lose out.....maybe a stupid question, but how would a builder join a extension on the side of that house? I envisage a valley of sorts between roofs, rather than tie into existing roof? Or am I way off?

Edited by Gareththesparky

One of our members here (English but living in Wales), has just completed an extension on the side of his place like this but that had gable ends before & after. Planning I believe forced him to have the extension ridge line lower rather than continuing the original. You want to avoid that if you can. 

Edited by Onoff

30 minutes ago, Onoff said:

One of our members here (English but living in Wales), has just completed an extension on the side of his place like this but that had gable ends before & after. Planning I believe forced him to have the extension ridge line lower rather than continuing the original. You want to avoid that if you can. 

In the picture of our extension a few posts up.  The planners wanted the roof line stepped back, but we quietly ignored that and ran the roof line flat. We did step the new wall back by half a brick meaning the eaves overhang was slightly larger on that bit.

And...FFS make sure the floor levels old/new, are going to match up when building up the new extension floor. A member on here had murders recently where the builder had taken only some cursory checks and it was WAY out when they knocked through.

12 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

D47E4947-F8C7-44F2-89FE-FE66EC691463.thumb.jpeg.a9fa6013649d59e5778d076d7f6c3a7a.jpeg

still no presents. 

This is the thing, I want my extension running front to back effectively, so that it allows enough room for access and a drive/carport/garage in the future-I’ll add  existing and floor plans below as a rough guide for you lot to see if I’m heading somewhere that’s possible, or just into a big pit of shit

Don't try creating a separate roof with a valley, extend the existing hip roof sideways.

If you want to go less wide to keep side access then fine, just build less wide, and take the extension further back and wrap it around the back over the kitchen   @Onoff picture above shows how to do the roof.