Alternative to plinth bricks?

Hilldes

Been struggling to locate plinth bricks. The house will be all white render and grey aluminium window frames, so not keen on red plinth bricks that most retailers appear to stock. Can't locate alternatives by web search - e.g. grey bricks. 

Anybody know of suppliers of alternative colours of plinth bricks...or...

Alternative detailing below the rendered finish at DPC level (e.g. extend render board down to the ground beam and fix brick slips)..

Here is the detailing as designed:

Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 08.59.31.png

I’m sure Staffordshire Blues do a plinth,or you could just use standard bricks covered with a lead tray going behind the render board surely?

Edit- @PeterW I was about to submit my reply when my kids required maintenance & when I returned-there was yours-spooky!

Edited by Brickie
Twilight Zone moment.

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Standard engineering blue plinth bricks ..??

Available from most/all builders merchants. 

https://www.tbsdirect.co.uk/product/brick-plinth-stretcher-blue-pl3.2/hb100130

Do the whole lot in engineering blues (nearly grey anyway) and it will look fine. 

Thanks @PeterW will maybe order a few to see how they look alongside engineering bricks.

7 minutes ago, Brickie said:

I’m sure Staffordshire Blues do a plinth,or you could just use standard bricks covered with a lead tray going behind the render board surely?

Thank @Brickie - so staffordshire blues are the blue/grey engineering bricks?

Like the idea of using any facing bricks then some form of cap or tray on top of bricks going behind the render board. Might get a bit pricey with lead - got a 60m perimeter. Any alterlnative materials?

4 minutes ago, Hilldes said:

Thanks @PeterW will maybe order a few to see how they look alongside engineering bricks.

They should look fine as they are engineering plinths. Always worth getting your specials and blues from the same supplier - the ones I linked are Weinerberger. 

Also, they do PL7.1 and PL4.1 specials which are the returns - internal and external corners. Look much better than a brickies labourers attempt with a Stihl saw and some gobbo on the joints. Not cheap but well worth it and the brickie will thank you !!

https://specialbricks.wienerberger.co.uk/bricks/pl-7/#pl-7-1

1 minute ago, Hilldes said:

Might get a bit pricey with lead - got a 60m perimeter. Any alterlnative materials?

Lead isn’t that expensive - you would only need 180mm Code 3 for that so it’s 10 rolls and that would be about £340 currently. As it is very visible none of the lead alternatives are suitable as they look crap. 

You could get a folded plastisol type cill done but that would be about £10-15/m so twice the cost of lead.  

60m of plinths is 270 bricks - think they are about £1.45 currently (not sure for a full pack may be cheaper) so that is £386 - cheaper than lead as you’ll need another course of facings anyway if you go the lead route plus someone to install it and patination oil etc 

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Lead isn’t that expensive - you would only need 180mm Code 3 for that so it’s 10 rolls and that would be about £340 currently. As it is very visible none of the lead alternatives are suitable as they look crap. 

You could get a folded plastisol type cill done but that would be about £10-15/m so twice the cost of lead.  

60m of plinths is 270 bricks - think they are about £1.45 currently (not sure for a full pack may be cheaper) so that is £386 - cheaper than lead as you’ll need another course of facings anyway if you go the lead route plus someone to install it and patination oil etc 

many thanks @PeterW for the alternatives. Will check out the blue bricks first.

17 hours ago, Brickie said:

You could also save a bit by using the cheapest common bricks for one course behind the lead. 
If you choose the plinth route-won’t there need to be a sealant detail between the bit where plinth ends & render board starts?

That is a good point @Brickie - I was assuming the drip bead/bell cast on the render would throw water down the front face of the brickwork. Not sure how I would seal given there needs to be be a ventilation gap with insect mesh between the render board and brick.