New Broadband Connection - No Address!?

Hey folks,

I would like to think we are not the only ones to face this situations so I would appreciate any help!

Our house is 99% complete, we are now thinking of getting our broadband connection done - all BT ducts etc are in ready to pull cable etc.

When trying to place an order with Sky I was told we couldn't get broadband in our area. I told them that's funny as our neighbour has Sky broadband! ? I was then told due to our address not being officially registered yet on the Openreach system we wouldn't be able to order any services? 

How did we manage to order our electric connection without an address but they cannot plug a phone in ?

Our address is still not registered on the Postcode Database (long story, it might never get on that list)

But we just chose the house name and have used it with every utility.  The house name has found it's way onto every other address database except the Postcode Address File.  the house name even appears on the Land Registry and OS maps together with a fairly accurate outline of the actual house on the maps.

So is the "issue" that you have not chosen a house name or are waiting for someone to give you an official house number?

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Our address is still not registered on the Postcode Database (long story, it might never get on that list)

But we just chose the house name and have used it with every utility.  The house name has found it's way onto every other address database except the Postcode Address File.  the house name even appears on the Land Registry and OS maps together with a fairly accurate outline of the actual house on the maps.

So is the "issue" that you have not chosen a house name or are waiting for someone to give you an official house number?

The 'issue' is that we are awaiting our house name to be registered by the council to whom contacts royal mail etc to populate the database with our new address. I just dont understand why we cant order broadband without the address being on a virtual list - the physical house is there and ready to connect!

The joys of building a house!

I was told by Sky they wouldn't provide us with broadband as the connection would be less than 1mbps, even though our neighbour has fibre ? They use the exact same exchange.

Apparently when our address is officially on the system we will magically be able to get broadband ?

11 minutes ago, soapstar said:

The joys of building a house!

I was told by Sky they wouldn't provide us with broadband as the connection would be less than 1mbps, even though our neighbour has fibre ? They use the exact same exchange.

Apparently when our address is officially on the system we will magically be able to get broadband ?

Tell them okay go ahead and we will accept a slow connection for now.

Or just try a different provider?  Why are so so set on Sky?

Ok things have escalated quickly...I phone back yet again to complain - I now have an order number and Openreach are booked in for first week of January ? 

To top it off had a phone call to say our barrier glass will not be arriving this week as the machine which laminates glass has broken down...You cant make this stuff up - I am officially done with this year!

Feel bad for starting a thread but I guess the conclusion is if you fail the first time keep trying! ?

• 3 weeks later...

We're nowhere near this point yet, but it's likely we use an FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) for this. It's essentially a 'router' that takes a SIM and just needs a mains connection.

I know you've solved it, but this might help others and take the rush out of wrestling with Openreach.