Fibre Optics

willbish

Floating on my back recently I found myself staring at the ceiling of the local hotel pool. There must've been a hundred small led downlights about 30/40mm diameter.

Im guessing they weren't all mini LED's but perhaps fibre optics. Something like this 

Anyone tried this? Im thinking a few rows of 10 across bathroom ceiling

33 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Saw something similar done with a small drill bit and a piece of Fermacell ... and about 300 tiny holes each with a fibre in it ..! Looked amazing but very time consuming ..!

well no one can go anywhere at the moment so there's a project

• Haha 1

I would work out how many lumens you need first. Typical kitchen downright is around 400 Lumens.  I suspect most bathrooms would have perhaps 4 of those? So you need a total of around 1600 lumens.  Sadly the web page for the light engines  https://www.fibreopticfx.co.uk/fibre-optic-lighting/light-engines/ only has the power in Watts which isn't a lot of use.

Think I would want to know the cost of replacing the lamp in the light engine.

I will ask the question to a supplier about lumens but after further reading / consideration I dont think its possible to expect a comparable amount of light between a fibre and an led downlight.

Also, if it was that easy I'm sure retailers would be selling it as an alternative to downlights. Would be nice though, having one light 'engine' per room and running fibre strands to every light fitting.

I built a series of descending circular ceilings at a synagogue 

The lighting was meant to resemble the constellation With each resembling a star 

They cost a small fortune The electrician was so clever with the placement and type of lights 

I think I will be a bit more imaginative  with lighting on the next one Rather than lots of down lighters