Our plumbing saga.... Advice please.

canalsiderenovation

We have spent 48 hours in the house and our plumbing is concerning us.

Yesterday we have come to use our dishwasher and it showed up with an error. 

The manual suggests this issue.

IMG_20201221_111228.thumb.jpg.aeb9433a1d2db3d04630c85de96271ff.jpg

The plumber is suggesting he tested it on a rinse cycle and it was fine. Granted the dishwasher did come from an ex display so had some use but it worked. When I messaged him he said "Yes did a full rinse cycle made sure it pumped out etc, no error code, check for leak in cupboard, failing that maybe a problem with the unit itself......" And  "also for your info, last 4 installs of similar set up we had much bigger unit to fit it all in, and it did not come pre made up!! In my professional opinion it requires more space for this set up". 

Now the kitchen place had the exact same set up with the Quooker and dishwasher (which was functional) and managed to fit everything in their 600mm unit plus some cleaning products. 

I'm not sure what I'm looking for because everything is a mess. Can anyone help identify what I should do, if anything. He's indicating it's basically our problem.

I've taken the Cube out and this is what we have.

IMG_20201221_114700.thumb.jpg.8fa5fcd41e005d414209cbd358b293d9.jpg

IMG_20201221_115544.thumb.jpg.3b88aa2e72ac815f1d7ed1e56ae4cd92.jpg

IMG_20201221_112132.thumb.jpg.0edd28b53a02066455132a583b603601.jpg

IMG_20201221_112136.thumb.jpg.4f8f648afc2bc520288204e82e0b0415.jpg

We also noticed in our utility that the washing machine and pipework all seems to be a bit of a mess as well. Perhaps I'm being over dramatic.

IMG_20201221_112417.thumb.jpg.825ccb1f3715f35ad6ba53f52267c306.jpg

You know we had issues with the Quooker tap previously leaking and since have advertised the copper pipe working was for support which looks a bit of a bodge and could be easily knocked. Still have issues where hose won't pull out. This is maximum we can pull it out but he has point blank refused to sort this basically saying it's as "good as it gets". Pressure for cold and sparking water is very low as is the hot water (via Quooker/Cube).

IMG_20201221_111643.thumb.jpg.2b4fdfa07d10bd6c83cdcf0fef97e066.jpg

We have had ongoing issues with leaks or things not quite right which have been rectified in the past week but now, whilst we await his bill we just need to know if we should be calling him back, telling him we aren't paying his bill til we are happy or getting someone else to do it. His excuse for anything is that it isn't right, wasn't new or didn't have instructions.

We both have that little faith in his work we don't want him back but neither are we going to pay a bill and another bill from another plumber if he should be back to put it right.

???

IMG_20201221_112417.jpg

Edited by canalsiderenovation

Don’t pay his bill till it’s sorted, and if he won’t sort it tell him you will get someone else and deduct their bill from his AFTER it’s all working correctly, that quooker valve thingy balancing on a random copper pipe is a bodge and I would not accept that as “fit for purpose”. The rest is not the neatest installation and that waterless trap for the washing machine/dishwasher seems odd to me. I did say before I question his ability!!!

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Don’t pay his bill till it’s sorted, and if he won’t sort it tell him you will get someone else and deduct their bill from his AFTER it’s all working correctly, that quooker valve thingy balancing on a random copper pipe is a bodge and I would not accept that as “fit for purpose”. The rest is not the neatest installation and that waterless trap for the washing machine/dishwasher seems odd to me. I did say before I question his ability!!!

Yep, we are too.

He's saying it worked (the dishwasher) and I think making excuses basically saying it's not his problem and blaming the equipment. Do I have grounds to not pay a bill based on this? I can't say well Buildhub thinks your work is shoddy as do we and the installation isn't neat.... 

His whole unit isn't big enough if he had installed it correctly and made the installation neat to me it wouldn't be an issue.

3 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Take a look at how much you owe this plumber ???? I would consider getting a new plumber out for an appraisal of his work, water pressure etc. Could be a couple of hundred quid well spent.

He hasn't yet invoiced us for our work but I think that may be a wise decision before we mess with anything or indeed pay any bills.

Rachel

You have said that he won’t come back to rectify problems (which by law I believe he must be given the chance to do) so crack on and get a PROPER plumber to appraise his work and quote to rectify it. Do not pay his bill till this is resolved.  Have you taken that little filter out and checked it’s not blocked? New plumbing (if not rinsed properly) can be full of bits so I would suggest you check the filter is clean.

Edited by joe90

36 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Can anyone advise what I should do to rectify the dishwasher error, if anything or should I just email the plumber and insist in the new year he comes back and does it 

Turn the isolator off.  Disconnect the hose at the dishwasher end.  Hold that end over a bucket and open the isolator.

Do you get lots of high pressure water out of the hose?  If so it's not a plumbing problem but a dishwasher fault.  If you only get a dribble of water then it's a plumbing fault.

35 minutes ago, joe90 said:

You have said that he won’t come back to rectify problems (which by law I believe he must be given the chance to do) so crack on and get a PROPER plumber to appraise his work and quote to rectify it. Do not pay his bill till this is resolved.  Have you taken that little filter out and checked it’s not blocked? New plumbing (if not rinsed properly) can be full of bits so I would suggest you check the filter is clean.

I need to be explicit to him and outline all the issues and give him a chance to fix them or say we will get an independent appraisal of his work.

I wanted to take the filter out and check it's not blocked but I don't know what I'm looking for. Is that in one of the pictures I posted??? We can't lift the integrated dishwasher out ourselves so I'm hoping it is something that is visible in the cupboard.

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

it’s already off ? But yes, confirm water is available to the machine.

Eh? What's off? Do you mean the dishwasher water supply is off? Is this this thing? If the water is off for the dishwasher then that probably accounts for the error code!

IMG_20201221_131451.thumb.jpg.07aed49965f32c6bffdc7408c0477dc5.jpg

We can't get the integrated dishwasher out. We aren't strong enough and in the absence of a man we will be washing dishes ourselves! I've never owned a dishwasher before and was looking forward to not washing dishes.....  ?

Unscrew the white nut, make sure there is a black rubber washer inside the nut, that is what seals it.

To be honest this is not really the plumbers concern, this is your appliance, it it is leaking because of a faulty hose or missing washer  it is your issue.

But of course a decent plumber would sort it out of good will, but would be a bit peeved at having to make a special visit to do so.  A bit like me attending because a light is not working, only to find there is no bulb in it.

Just now, ProDave said:

To be honest this is not really the plumbers concern, this is your appliance, it it is leaking because of a faulty hose or missing washer  it is your issue.

No it’s not ..!! If he’s installed it and he needs to check for leaks and make sure it works ! Just sounds like it’s not tightened up. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Unscrew the white nut, make sure there is a black rubber washer inside the nut, that is what seals it.

But of course a decent plumber would sort it out of good will, but would be a bit peeved at having to make a special visit to do so.  A bit like me attending because a light is not working, only to find there is no bulb in it.

Thanks @ProDave is that for sure it's a faulty hose/washer? If it is then of course it's not the plumber it's down to us and I accept that.

I can't find the specific leak but when I turned the blue handle this is the area which was wet, if you zoom in you can see water.

Disclaimer - I'm not a plumber.

272920446_IMG_20201221_1338052.thumb.jpg.43dee4dc0f573518b988170c7787f7b8.jpg