Sealing an underground structure

MrTrevithick

Another little question. I have 2 Anderson shelters and intend to build them into the side of the protective hump near the west entrance tunnel, one to be used for the standby generator and the other as a garden shed (the Allen Sythe can live in there). I am missing the end panels so I was intending to build a concrete wall at the far end but I need to seal it with something. Now it won’t be dealing with much water as the hump drys out very quickly it appears, but I could do with keeping that generator happy.

So can anyone suggest a suitable sealant? A paint on type product would be perfect.

Cheers

I’ve always used a product called synthapruf , but there are dozens of bituminous type products available at your local builders merchants

they all do the same thing really. 

Air flow is probably something to look at, all the Anderson shelters I’ve ever been in are always damp and smelly

maybe Incorporate a couple of high level airbricks in the new wall.   

+1 to what @Russell griffiths said. Can you get a vertical stack with a mushroom vent on the top (or a hockey stick) and run it down the back wall  to a couple of air vents to promote airflow ..?

And is the wall being built inside the Anderson structure front and back ..? If so can you not go low tech and cover it with a decent thick DPM and then bury it with a gravel drain all around the last foot or so..?

Good tips, the low level mushroom idea had already popped in my head to be honest but that now confirms that plan. It’ll need to shift a lot of air around in the generator one to keep the machine cool.

The wall will be just at the buried back with a door at the other end, I like the idea of the gravel drain.

Cheers