Cast Aluminium or Iron Guttering for a Listed Building

LeanTwo

I have a requirement for my listed building consent that I must fit "cast iron or alternative metal material" for my guttering.  There are both cast iron and aluminium products available and there does not appear to be a huge difference in price.  Why are two different products offered and is there any difference in the performance or use?  Aluminium will obviously be lighter.

Any thoughts would be great!

You can also get fake cast iron guttering made from GRP. Looks quite convincing. May not need painting but check. They used it on Dublin Cathedral...

https://www.rainguard.co.uk/projects/yeoman-rainguard-gives-historic-dublin-cathedral-new-lease-life/

Can also get copper guttering (at a price). Also doesn't need painting.

http://www.coppagutta.co.uk/

Mind you painting may not be needed on cast iron or aluminium guttering for a few years. 

Don't go with the GRP. Not only are you not allowed to in your case as they stated cast iron or metal and GRP isn't a metal but from a conservation point of view it's terrible practice and looks crap. You want to be faithful to the original building and materials. I've used both the aluminium and cast iron on different historic buildings. I've found the aluminium cheaper but if they're the same price I'd personally get the cast iron but get it pre painted in the factory as it will be much more durable long term rather than buying the non painted version.

We did GRP guttering for a Victorian Mill moulded from the cast-iron originals that were fine. We also used it on our listed house - been there since the 1980s and the house sold without a tremor. There is also at least one roof ball  made from resin and a mould marked "*** *** roof ball" in the cellar.

It can be fine if made properly and sympathetically.

We also sold GRP balustrades to the National Trust for the roof parapets of one of their houses.

It may be that you can find examples to argue your Local Council down, though this may be an issue on which some BCOs may be particularly dogmatic.

Ferdinand