Covering already wet blocks

dangti6

Took delivery of several pallets of blocks earlier and they are wet.

Weather permitting, brickies may make a start on Saturday.

It's still raining out there now and Tomorrow is due to be a fairly dry day. I'm wondering whether to cover them over now (free at the sides for airflow), potentially holding in that moisture on top (a guess) or perhaps just cover them tomorrow once they have dried out a bit.

What would you do?

2 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

How wet are these blocks? Some blocks discolour when they absorb a bit of overnight dew. You could try weighing a sample then compare with the manufacturers dry weight spec. A truly sodden block will be noticeably heavier.

I have some of the same 'brand' (local aggregate supplier I believe) already which have been out in the elements for a month or so and the colour change is noticeable in a dry spell when they dry out. They tend to look more buff when wet and grey when dry. 

Most look buff throughout, up and down the pallet with a couple of pallets still grey (potentially stored at bottom of stack opposed to different aggregate?), so assume most if not all of them have been in the yard exposed in the recent damp spell and again on the vehicle this morning when it was hammering down for hours. Exactly how saturated they are, would be difficult to tell but could pull out a dry one and compare.

They did wrap my loose commons on to a small pallet though, give them their due.

Stopped raining now so will hold fire on the covering until this evening unless it rains beforehand.

3 hours ago, Declan52 said:

They sink and the mortar draws the water out of the blocks and you get salt patches on the wall. And of course they are much heavier and rip the skin of your fingers much quicker. No suction on the blocks as well.

Will the brickies try to compensate for the wet blocks by mixing a drier/stiffer mortar? 

20 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Are those 19kg heavies?

If so they absorb less water than lighter blocks.

Popped one on the bathroom scales (covertly) - 20kg

I’m sure if I asked the war office she would say it’s always a kilo out ?

33 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Will the brickies try to compensate for the wet blocks by mixing a drier/stiffer mortar? 

They should. They need stacked in rows, 3 blocks wide on their edge then the next row 3 on their edge the opposite direction and so on 5/6 block high. This will give plenty of room around all the sides of the block to get air in-between to dry them out. Then covered at the top with polythene or a mortar board. 

Threw a poly sheet over them. Will stack some out tomorrow. 

They are laying a course of block followed by 3 courses of facing up to DPC - I’ll be surprised if they do much more than that Saturday morning. They can either create multiple stacks where they want ‘em in preparation or tell me so I can have it sorted for them to return on the Monday. 

No doubt they’ve laid worse and will adjust mix accordingly. 

59 minutes ago, dangti6 said:

They are laying a course of block followed by 3 courses of facing up to DPC

Does the brickie team know they are laying 19kg heavies?

1 hour ago, dangti6 said:

Threw a poly sheet over them. Will stack some out tomorrow. 

Brickies are very particular about the specifics of stacking, might be worth asking them how far from the wall. 

8 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Does the brickie team know they are laying 19kg heavies?

Brickies are very particular about the specifics of stacking, might be worth asking them how far from the wall. 

Nothing was specified one way or another. They’ll find out Saturday when they lift ‘em - Merry Christmas!

• Haha 1