Cutting 1m tiles?

NeilScotland

Hi All, 

I have 100 x 100 x 1 tiles. Ceramic. 

I've managed to do many of the cuts so far  - but with some breakages unfortunately, but now I'm moving onto a step - and I want more guaranteed results.

What would you recommend as the best device to use? 

- A manual tile cutter?

- A table tile saw?

I've only tiled a few times, and when I done my toilet - using the manual cutter, there were still some breakages. 

This could be down to my inexperience or maybe it's just part of the job... but, wondering what your experience is of such large tiles and the best tool to use for it?

hope to hear,

Neil 

Yes, I am going to hire......my own rubi manual cutter only goes up to 60cm. 

I have seen this one (below). which I can hire relatively decent priced. 

Until now, I've been using my angle grinder with diamond blade - but it's messed up a few (luckily that can be salvaged for my step that I need to cut) but now I'm at point that breakages will be wasted tiles......

thanks!

Neil 

tile_saw.png

I have used the bridge type cutters for 900 x 900 porcelain used as splashback.  You need to be aware that the blade can wander on the cheaper ones.

Our tilers just used a big Rubi manual cutter for 600 x 600.

I cut out the sockets with a 4" grinder.

18 minutes ago, NeilScotland said:

Hi Wozza,

is that just a manual tile cutter?

ive a rubi one bit only good for 600. So i’ll need to hire one for larger. 

Have you had any /many breakages with the snaps/cuts?

Neil 

Yeah a manual Rubi cutter - will do up to about 130cm, it had a new 8mm cutting wheel fitted, about 2 cuts did not break clean otherwise it was good, and we cut 1 full tile into 12 equal strips for skirting and it cut ok.

So are we saying a manual is better than mechanical? I’m cutting 1m tiles soon and just doing the research. Some say manual leaves a rough edge whereas sawn is nice and smooth. Is this correct with the larger porcelain tile. I’ve been looking at the montolit masterpiuma 93p3.

• Like 1

Speaking of breakages they stack the tiles a stupid way! Cut the strap and boosh box smashed to smithereans I cannot spell that bloody word 5 x meter tiles lost before I even attempt to cut ?

On 15/12/2020 at 12:00, NeilScotland said:

Hi All, 

I have 100 x 100 x 1 tiles. Ceramic. 

I've managed to do many of the cuts so far  - but with some breakages unfortunately, but now I'm moving onto a step - and I want more guaranteed results.

What would you recommend as the best device to use? 

- A manual tile cutter?

- A table tile saw?

I've only tiled a few times, and when I done my toilet - using the manual cutter, there were still some breakages. 

This could be down to my inexperience or maybe it's just part of the job... but, wondering what your experience is of such large tiles and the best tool to use for it?

hope to hear,

Neil 

I have used my Sigma tile cutter to cut 1.2m tiles and it worked great, even producing neat edges on cuts up against sliding doors that will be seen

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Taff said:

Speaking of breakages they stack the tiles a stupid way! Cut the strap and boosh box smashed to smithereans I cannot spell that bloody word 5 x meter tiles lost before I even attempt to cut ?

OMG.... I'm sorry for your loss! ?

That is absolutely brutal. How were they stacked? 

Ours were on top of each other...... (I'm in Amsterdam). 

We have the same tiles for outdoor, but they have a 3cm concrete base - and a few of them were broken. Also stacked on top of each other and 90kg ea. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2020 at 15:08, Taff said:

They were stacked vertically on a pallet just unbelievable. What size spacers you use 

we went for 3mm...... ends up being more than that. maybe 4mm or so - but looks decent. 

got more on back order. so the step will need to wait ..... and then i’ll hire the large manual cutter Fingers crossed there aren’t many breakages. 

• 1 month later...

Hi All @Taff @wozza @Pete

Picking this up again, only finally got my tiles on back order. And not many to spare - I started to do some practice cuts on my Ruby cutter with some off cuts  (I will hire a 120cm 'Carat' branded manual cutter for the proper cuts).....

• My practice cuts did not go well ?  - It seemed that I could not get the cut started very well - and when I went for the snap, they didn't snap well.... 
  • I found I was either too light or too heavy (and the slider doesn't slide very well)

Do you have any tips I can follow to avoid this happening? 

I found If I placed a little off-cut at the end - to start the cut on, this helped to get me started a bit..... 

See images below (ignore they are thin pieces - that was because I was using an old off cut). 

I have a selection of wheels available I was mainly using a 10mm one for these. 

Any help is greatly appreciated - I'm not confident at this point ?

IMG_6150-min.JPG

IMG_6151-min.JPG

IMG_6152-min.JPG

I used a Sigma cutter. Like anything it takes a little getting used to. Do not apply great pressure when cutting. When starting the cut pull back at the beginning of the tile to ensure you have done the first couple of inches and then just one straight cut to the end. Quick positive snap on the lever and that is all ever did. YouTube is good for learning about this!!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Pete said:

I used a Sigma cutter. Like anything it takes a little getting used to. Do not apply great pressure when cutting. When starting the cut pull back at the beginning of the tile to ensure you have done the first couple of inches and then just one straight cut to the end. Quick positive snap on the lever and that is all ever did. YouTube is good for learning about this!!

Thanks Pete - i reckon I've clocked up 10hrs on this! haha.........

So... in the end I needed a proper saw, and even then it was so powerful it was chipping at the end of each cut. Luckily, on the side I didn't need. 

I don't think I will ever buy these tiles ever ever again!!! haha..... 100 x 100 x 1 porcelain. Nightmare - i'm sure easy for a pro, but this is only my 2nd time tiling. 

Most are now laid (had to lay a few before kitchen fitters came the following day). I also done all the cuts for the step (And laid one row). I leveled all tiles to the highest point on the step and used a self leveling cement to take up the difference - before I tile the step itself. And that's where I'm at now. Builders didn't leave such a level step and also some concrete was taken away when they done a repair job on the underfloor heating. 

Overall, happy with it - but don't think I ever want to use such large format tiles again. 

IMG_6168-min.JPG

IMG_6171-min.JPG

IMG_6184-min.JPG

IMG_6185-min.JPG

IMG_6206-min.JPG

IMG_6207-min.JPG

IMG_6210-min.JPG

IMG_6215-min.JPG

IMG_6250.JPG

IMG_6251.JPG

IMG_6256.JPG

IMG_6258.JPG