Bathroom floor tanking quote

I just received a quote for the tanking of my bathroom floor.

The quote is 700-1000£ for the tanking and tiling (fitting + materials) of the floor, which is 150 x 200 cm in size (+bathtub).

Does this sound reasonable? Would you recommend checking somewhere else? I am based in Milton Keynes.

Why do you need tanking? 

for wetroom failsafe design is vinyl flooring scrolled up walls 150mm, then hang wall linings, ideally shower lining panels or tile backing board 50mm over the top edge of the floor, 

surface mounted shower 

can’t leak 

28 minutes ago, g000444555 said:

I just received a quote for the tanking of my bathroom floor.

The quote is 700-1000£ for the tanking and tiling (fitting + materials) of the floor, which is 150 x 200 cm in size (+bathtub).

Does this sound reasonable? Would you recommend checking somewhere else? I am based in Milton Keynes.

If all the above

Extremely cheap 

As everyone has said - what are you trying to achieve, what is included, does the whole floor need doing, what is the current floor status, what is the required end result?

Edited by wozza

The quote is only for tanking, tiling and the materials (bath, taps, etc are excluded).

I have a small bathroom, with a bathtub and an additional floor area of 150 x 200 cm.

The floor is covered with vinyl mat. The corners are not sealed and if a bucket of water is thrown onto the floor it will leak to under side of room and all the way to the ground floor.

I am looking to waterproof the bathroom floor area of 150 x 200 cm.

I am not sure what would be the best solution, vinyl, rubber flooring, tiling or something else. The builder recommended tiling, probably because he is more familiar with it. Also, I am not sure whether adding a drain would make sense.

2.jpg

I still don't understand what you are doing here.  To do it properly you empty the room, bath, wc and all, tank the whole lot then tile the whole lot.  Form the shower base area with a shower former and the tiling over that gets cut and slopes down the the shower drain.  The walls around the shower come down over the tanking upstand that goes a short way up the wall.

Is this what you are trying to achieve?

Or do you just want a normal shower tray above ground and want to make it so that when water is spilled either from the shower or bath it does not end up dripping through the ceiling downstairs?

29 minutes ago, g000444555 said:

The quote is only for tanking, tiling and the materials (bath, taps, etc are excluded).

I have a small bathroom, with a bathtub and an additional floor area of 150 x 200 cm.

The floor is covered with vinyl mat. The corners are not sealed and if a bucket of water is thrown onto the floor it will leak to under side of room and all the way to the ground floor.

I am looking to waterproof the bathroom floor area of 150 x 200 cm.

I am not sure what would be the best solution, vinyl, rubber flooring, tiling or something else. The builder recommended tiling, probably because he is more familiar with it. Also, I am not sure whether adding a drain would make sense.

If you really want the room tanked then the tanking would have to go under the bath as well because otherwise any spills could run under the bath and bypass the tanking. Is this a two storey house or a flat or what. What type of floor is under the vinyl mat.

Like I said, I am flexible about the solution and am unsure what is the best option.

All I want is when the water is spilled outside of the bathtub and into the 150x200cm flooring area, for the water not to leak to under side of room. The bathtub itself is not leaking at all, any water dropped into the bathtub goes through the hose and does not leak at all. It is fine if the water stays on the floor without ending nowhere and creating a lake, as long as it is not leaking to the under floor.

This is a two storey house. The bathroom is in the second floor. The floor under the vinyl must be timber if I am not mistaken.

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

If you really want the room tanked then the tanking would have to go under the bath as well because otherwise any spills could run under the bath and bypass the tanking.

I think this is what the builder has in mind, however, I am reluctant to the risk of taking the bathtub off in order to apply the sealant underneath. Because, I am worried for the risk of the re-sealing to be of inferior quality than the existing. The existing bathtub is perfectly sealed, no leakage at all. I wonder if I should ask him to apply the tanking only to the flooring area and the edge of the bathtub, so that the bathtub remains untouched.

25 minutes ago, g000444555 said:

I think this is what the builder has in mind, however, I am reluctant to the risk of taking the bathtub off in order to apply the sealant underneath.

Not ideal, but you need only take the bath side panel off to access the flooring under the bath.

27 minutes ago, g000444555 said:

The floor under the vinyl must be timber if I am not mistaken.

Is that normal timber floorboards or possibly chipboard, plywood or OSB.

I think it's unlikely to be timber floorboards as it feels and looks like a unified surface. More likely it would be chipboard, plywood or OSB. However, I don't know and I guess the only way to find out is to scrape off the vinyl. The house is about 30 years old in one of the best areas and generally it's well-built and stylish. It has sophisticated architecture. I would imagine the materials to be on the higher end of the spectrum for that time.

Trying to tank with everything still in there ( loo - basin - bath ) just seems so wrong and quite likely to not actually work to the criteria you specify (bucket of water being frown onto floor)..... I think you need to step back and reevaluate what you actually want to achieve. 

13 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

Can you not just avoid spilling loads of water on the floor?  I think that's what most people do.

Yes I can. That is what I am doing now. However, if I have guests over, I don't want to be worried about such concerns. A bathroom floor needs to be waterproof. I like the house to be there for me to use it and not the other way around. I appreciate utility over appearance.

12 hours ago, Cpd said:

Trying to tank with everything still in there ( loo - basin - bath ) just seems so wrong and quite likely to not actually work to the criteria you specify (bucket of water being frown onto floor)..... I think you need to step back and reevaluate what you actually want to achieve. 

I think it is very clear WHAT I want to achieve. In fact the test to validate my spec is very simple: throw a bucket of water onto the floor, notice that it stays on the floor until I mop it off.

When it comes to HOW though. That is completely outside of my comfort zone and I cannot know what is the best solution. I am relying on professional's opinion and am trying to verify that what they suggest makes sense by posting on forums like this.

My understanding from the conversation above is that the quote is reasonable and the solution is also reasonable. Perhaps, compromising would not worth it as it would not solve the problem. 

Tanking would seem like an over the top solution for a bathroom floor. It is more for areas that are constantly getting wet.

Simply tiling it and sealing around the edges with silicone would suffice to stop large splashes getting into the ceiling.. TBH though vinyl is waterproof, you could just seal the edges with silicone until you plan to redo the whole room as to do it properly you would need to remove the WC and basin pedestal.

You are right about guests. We stayed in an Airbnb while our house was being built. We had not issues, but friends came to stay and flooded the bathroom floor which was not sealed so it went through the ceiling to the flat downstairs.

• Thanks 1

It sounds like you want what I did in the utility room.

Starting with a bare floor (in my case chipboard then ply glued and screwed) I went round the edges with tanking tape which goes about 2" up the wall all round.

I then tiled the floor, making sure the grouting was good and all joints fully filled, and a tiled skirting made from strips cut from the same tiles, again all fully grouted.

This is to ensure if there is a minor spill or leak from the washing machine, it can't get down any gaps at the edge of the room and under the floor.  But it is not a proper wet room and in the event of a serious leak it would run out under the door into the hall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TBH though vinyl is waterproof, you could just seal the edges with silicone until you plan to redo the whole room as to do it properly you would need to remove the WC and basin pedestal.

I am thankful for all the comments above. However, this seems to be the best suggestion so far.

13 hours ago, g000444555 said:

I think it is very clear WHAT I want to achieve. In fact the test to validate my spec is very simple: throw a bucket of water onto the floor, notice that it stays on the floor until I mop it off.

Your 1.5x2m floor has a surface area of 3sqm.  This will require 1 standard bottle of wine to totally cover it at 2.5mm deep....assuming you spill it in the farthest corner from the door and get lucky with the puddle pattern.  A standard general purpose bucket is typically 14 litres ..or 18.6 bottles of Rioja.

So whatever method of arriving at a waterproof floor you use, the doorway will need to stem the flow to a height of 46.5mm and i guess it'll have to be a kerb because a sealed door would have to remain closed.

I agree with you that @AliG's suggestion is the best...but because it'll do what you NEED and deal with a bottle.  Do not misunderstand...

14 hours ago, AliG said:

TBH though vinyl is waterproof, you could just seal the edges

...as meaning it'll do anything like what you've specified.

On 13/12/2020 at 20:57, Roundtuit said:

Can you not just avoid spilling loads of water on the floor?  I think that's what most people do.

My teenager manages to get water to the farthest corners of the bathroom somehow. Far beyond the wet room corner. As blind as a bat without glasses I can only imagine they hold the shower hose and deliberately do a pirouette. So glad I tanked!

The ability to kick the used towel round the floor afterwards also seems to have escaped them along with selecting the number 1 or 2 buttons on the WC flush plate and actually pressing it rather than admiring themselves in the shiny chrome!

I blame the parents.

• Haha 1