Workings of a multifuel stove

We got a Stanley boiler stove before Xmas. The first issue was broken glass on the door as it came out of the delivery van. When it was installed we realised the thermostat rod to control the primary air supply was broken. The latest thing is that there is no burn from the stove unless the door is open.

We have had it checked independently and the direct air supply is good, there is a good draw on the chimney so was looking like the stove.

A Stanley engineer looked at it last night. He adjusted the damper for the primary air supply. So now instead of rotating once from 0 to 4 it now rotates in 2 full circles, opening the damper more.

The fire now stays lit without the door open but the noise of wind through it is horrendous. 

I also don't think the fire is still burning as hot as it's potential. 

The engineer said there generally wasn't anything that could be wrong with the stove.

Any thoughts, consumer law allows us to request a replacement given we have had it for less than 6 months and previous attempts to repair have not worked.

Reject it..

Supplier needs to resolve with a repair (you've tried) or replace. If the controls on a heating appliance do not work then it does not give me confidence that is safe to operate !!

Did you pay by credit card..? CC company is jointly liable to resolve.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I take it (obvious question) they have replaced the broken glass?

The delivery driver was supposed to let them know but didn't, I just happened to call in and ask about it and they said they didn't know anything about it. Replacement glass given straight away.

I suppose my concern is that I can't be sure if it's a stove issue or an installation/chimney issue, though as mentioned, it was commissioned and everything was stated to be fine.

The reason I asked about the glass, is I broke the glass on ours. The result was a missing piece of glass right at the top probably now more than a few square centimetres.  Now my stove has the air inlet at the top of the door. So I would have thought having a hole in the glass near the top of the door would result in the thing being over aired and burning like it was fully open. But no, it hardly burned at all until I replace the glass.

but you have replaced the glass so that's not the problem.

Have you tried a smoke bomb to make sure the chimney is drawing properly?

The fire now stays lit without the door open but the noise of wind through it is horrendous

Is it now blazing away too fast? Our fire insert makes some noise when the air is fully open but once the fire is going you turn it down and then can't hear it.

As an aside, during our purchase of our wood stove which is being delivered next Tuesday ? I was advised to buy and install a throat valve in the solid pipe above the stove, it gives even more control over the draw and general efficiency of the stove, it was very cheap in the scheme of things ( I also tend to think with it fully shut it will reduce the cold bridge up the chimney a little).

20 hours ago, ProDave said:

The reason I asked about the glass, is I broke the glass on ours. The result was a missing piece of glass right at the top probably now more than a few square centimetres.  Now my stove has the air inlet at the top of the door. So I would have thought having a hole in the glass near the top of the door would result in the thing being over aired and burning like it was fully open. But no, it hardly burned at all until I replace the glass.

but you have replaced the glass so that's not the problem.

Have you tried a smoke bomb to make sure the chimney is drawing properly?

The Stanley engineer tried one in both the external air pipe and the stove and no issues with either.

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Is it now blazing away too fast? Our fire insert makes some noise when the air is fully open but once the fire is going you turn it down and then can't hear it.

No, it's really really noisy but doesn't have the corresponding blazing flame. As soon as I turn it down we are back to a black flame.