Shortage of materials!

patp

Our neighbour has just informed us that his windows are delayed because of a shortage of materials to make them. He is being quoted middle of January. They have been on order for some time and he has phoned around for a better time schedule but to no avail.

21 minutes ago, craig said:

Only issues that we have experienced, is glass lead times in the UK are a lot longer than anticipated normally.

Is this from post lockdown 1 still and gradually getting better at all would you say?  I'm wondering what it'll be like in June/July next year when I order mine :(

Last pane of glass I looked to order was in October. 8 weeks we were told from a London glass supplier, ordered from Austria and delivered in 3.

New build just at the back of me, have been waiting for windows for a considerable time. Should have been weather tight two months ago, whole build has ground to a halt. Other plot got foundations done, blocks built for lower ground and that’s now ground to a halt.

• Sad 1

Local UPVC supplier is saying supply chain issues with coloured profiles, but white is still available. And merchants short stocking MDF products including sheet and profiles and that have increased in price by about 30% - MDF is a secondary product from timber procession so not entirely surprised by this. 

11 hours ago, SteveMack said:

Is this from post lockdown 1 still and gradually getting better at all would you say?  I'm wondering what it'll be like in June/July next year when I order mine

From what I hear it's a combination of backlog from lock downs, ports being short on space due to the volume of PPE being stored and some of the larger builders stockpiling materials for next year against Brexit issues.

They can't get the empty shipping containers out of Europe and back to China etc with the ports jammed up, the UK causing the biggest problem. 

• Sad 1

We, luckily, ordered our windows really early in the build. The foundations had only just been dug! They have been sitting with the joiner ever since. Now I see above that glass is hard to come by so we may have to get on and order that. Such a worry though if there is another hold up and the glass is hanging around................

I always assumed we made a lot of glass in the UK but it seems not..  Found this from pre covid days.. Seems like supply and demand isn't working. 

https://www.doubleglazingblogger.com/2018/07/theres-a-crisis-in-glass-and-its-going-to-get-worse/

"The problem is the UK makes very little glass for domestic consumption. And even by today’s standard it is very little. Operations such as Pilkington in the 80’s and 90’s have since been dramatically scaled back. I was told earlier today that Pilks at one time had over 90 plants in which they made their product in the UK, that now stands in the low single figures. So, due to a severe lack of UK glass-making ability, we have to import a lot of our glass from Europe. When there is a supply shortage from the continent, created deliberately or otherwise, this becomes a rather acute problem."

"The UK isn’t a very profitable market place for the biggest glass makers right now. GDP growth is slow, Sterling isn’t performing well enough and construction growth is far better in key markets such as Germany. The upshot of all of that is the major players are now choosing to focus their supply of glass products to European and other growth markets and not the UK. In short, they’re making a commercial decision and actively focusing on other countries."

Edited by Temp

In China they have a shortage of glass to make solar panels..

https://theenergymix.com/2020/11/11/chinas-solar-surge-leads-to-glass-shortage/

"With glass supplies running short and prices correspondingly spiking, Chinese solar manufacturers are appealing to Beijing to approve new glass factories—an industry that hit the brakes in 2018 when the country banned further expansion due to overcapacity concerns."