Husky air source heat pump, anyone still got one?

I have a Husky ASHP I got it nearly new minus the tank which leaked. I removed it as part of the deal then  fitted it in my house  and it has been running fine for the last 7 years. It is noisy and although originally rated at 7kw seems to struggle in cold weather. I have done a lot of insulation.

Do they loose power over time? should I try to improve it or buy something more efficient? Have they improved much? Does anyone still have a Husky working? I know they have gone bust. So far i have changed the internal Wilo water pump  but otherwise it has been reliable. I haven't got a huge budget, there is no gas available and I have a 4kw Solar array

If you think I should change it let me know what are my options, any recommendations either way gratefully received

• 2 weeks later...

We had 3 at work. Each one developed a software fault. 

I think it’s just shoddy software, it would randomly switch to DHW mode even though we don’t have a tank and then error out. The amount of times we’d come into work on a Monday to an office at 16c we decided to rip them out and pop Panasonic’s in.  No issues since. 

On 08/12/2020 at 14:25, PeterW said:

7kW isn’t that big - radiators or UFH for heating ..? How long are you running it for and how big is the house ..??

UFH upstairs and fan coils downstairs house is a 3 bad semi about 1000 sq ft run run for 8 hours a day (daylight only) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, we have 2 husky pumps, one is frozen over & I don't know how to trip it onto defrost. The manual doesn''t tell you- it says dont mess with the settings- fair enough but its been frozen for days now & i cant get hold of 'The Heat pump doctor" to help. The house is cold, & I'm cold. Anyone know? or any one know who I could get hold of to help? Im in cardiff & happy to take instructions over the phone - done it enough times when Husky were up and running -LOL.

A quick google finds this manual that may or may not be right for yours.  https://manualzz.com/doc/26659867/installation-and-maintenance-instructions

There are several parameters relating to the defrost functions.  The instructions say not to adjust them, but is it worth checking they are still at the correct default values and have not got corrupted?

23 hours ago, ProDave said:

A quick google finds this manual that may or may not be right for yours.  https://manualzz.com/doc/26659867/installation-and-maintenance-instructions

There are several parameters relating to the defrost functions.  The instructions say not to adjust them, but is it worth checking they are still at the correct default values and have not got corrupted?

Hi, thanks for taking the time to look for this.  I have the manual for ours, It looks like very much like this one you have found. Ive had a good look through it but i cant fathom what to do. Maybe I need to have another go.The problem is that if I reset factory settings for example I think I will be in trouble as over the first couple of years wee had the settings re-set on several occasions to try and stop freezing over, I don't know where to start. What i want to do is jump start it to defrost. It's frustrating because it doesn't even sound that hard does it? Why isn't there just a button for this? I know which icon should light when it is defrosting. 

I called ADC about my heat pump last night -well I was actually just using the online chat facility at 6pm & they said please ring - so I did - 07712 622862

I thought that was really kind since it was after hours & the guy, Andy took me through all the setting really patiently, he hadn't seen a Husky before but we worked it out with his expertise. he thinks its a valve thats not responding & I need a na actual engineer for that, but he took me through the settings just in case. He wont get the business for the valve as he is too far away, I asked him to send an invoice for his time & he said don't worry. What a nice guy. 

Anyone in the South West area, you might want to try this company. Know their stuff & willing to go the extra mile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

Really, I've seen more obvious than that.

It  isnt an advert, it was exactly how it happened, we are in cardiff & we wont be using this company or paying them, but the guy was really helpful, they needn't even have bothered picking up the message, it was after 6. As it was they picked up the message & offered that i could ring them for help too. I thought they were a company worth knowing about so I thought I would put the details up here for anyone else, take it or leave it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

That last post looks like an advert.

It  isnt an advert, it was exactly how it happened, we are in cardiff & we wont be using this company or paying them, but the guy was really helpful, they needn't even have bothered picking up the message, it was after 6. As it was they picked up the message & offered that i could ring them for help too. I thought they were a company worth knowing about so I thought I would put the details up here for anyone else, take it or leave it. 

34 minutes ago, HeatpumpSOS said:

No, I didn't think it was.

Just as a tip with Husky. We had three of their units at work. Found they worked 90% of the time then some random software bug would force them to stop and we’d get a very cold office. 

My advice would be to keep it as simple as possible to avoid these bugs. Pop your water onto a fixed flow temp rather than rely upon weather compensation etc. Don’t use timers. 

We got an F gas engineer to check ours. It had twice as much gas in as was needed!

Mine is still working, 7Kw 8 years old though lots of defrost cycles at the moment. What would you suggest as a replacement today and why? I run on a timer 8 until 5  but mainly because the unit is noisy in a quiet neighbourhood and to take advantage of solar. I rarely get to 22 in the house when really cold outside.   

2 hours ago, Simtronic said:

Mine is still working, 7Kw 8 years old though lots of defrost cycles at the moment. What would you suggest as a replacement today and why? I run on a timer 8 until 5  but mainly because the unit is noisy in a quiet neighbourhood and to take advantage of solar. I rarely get to 22 in the house when really cold outside.   

We switched to a Mitsubishi Ecodan and Panasonic Aqueria. Both are miles better. 

• Like 1

On 08/01/2021 at 14:33, Benjseb said:

We switched to a Mitsubishi Ecodan and Panasonic Aqueria. Both are miles better. 

My dad has switched to mitsubishi, our Husky are only 4 years old so wont be changing until broken. he managed to get insurance to pay for the husky being not fit for purpose but we have tried and cant. 

• 1 year later...

Finally having to replace our 2 husky heat pumps. 
Anyone got any recommendations? The quotes are huge and the companies seem to want to preface the water tanks which seems a shame for the planet and money- wise but they say they are wrong for some reason. Anyone have experience of that? 
The quotes I have got are for ACOND  and LG. 

All advice welcome.

If the tanks are heat pump ready, tell them you are not replacing, same with the heating system.  If you only need the HP replacement that's all they should be providing.

Just a bunch of con artists, trying to rip everyone off

On 16/10/2022 at 11:56, HeatpumpSOS said:

Finally having to replace our 2 husky heat pumps. 
Anyone got any recommendations? The quotes are huge and the companies seem to want to preface the water tanks which seems a shame for the planet and money- wise but they say they are wrong for some reason. Anyone have experience of that? 
The quotes I have got are for ACOND  and LG. 

All advice welcome.

ACOND are seriously expensive but nice looking r290 units...

Personally, I spent my hard earned on a Cool Energy - easy to setup and install into a variety of different scenarios, has a modulating pump. About £3k, fit it yourself.

What is the coil area in your hot water cylinder?

Edited by HughF