4G/5G booster

Pocster

9 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Out of interest,  if it’s for your home why do you need any phone signal? Can’t you just use your broadband? 

Thinking of dumping our landline if I can get a decent mobile signal to give me tinternet access over that (my son works for the gov and works from here sometimes using his laptop through his mobile phone but don’t know what network he uses). I need a mobile anyway so would like it to cover both bases (not to self,find out sons work network).

A few of my guys at work have an office in the basement of a building, lots of steel, concrete and underground.

the IT guys have a booster that plugs into the internet and gives a phone signal to us, only for the network that our work mobile are contracted on though, works well for us.

external yagi aerial, decent coax to a sim based 4g router would work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dpmiller said:

legal or illegal?

don’t care ?

I've one for EE's frequencies and it's works bleedin well.

Can you share?

IIRC @Jeremy Harris discussed them a couple of years back. 

Yes but I don’t remember a firm outcome.

this is the one I sprung for

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001051426244.html

"outdoor" antenna is in the attic, I'll probably get it outside when we've scaff up next. I've two indoor antennas on a T-piece, one at each end of the upstairs balcony. Without the booster, there is basically NO signal in the house. With it on, there's two bars upstairs and 1-bar downstairs, only a few dropped calls.

there are variants for different frequencies, you'd need to check which bands your operator uses.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

"outdoor" antenna is in the attic, I'll probably get it outside when we've scaff up next. I've two indoor antennas on a T-piece, one at each end of the upstairs balcony. Without the booster, there is basically NO signal in the house. With it on, there's two bars upstairs and 1-bar downstairs, only a few dropped calls.

there are variants for different frequencies, you'd need to check which bands your operator uses.

Cheap as chips !

I have no loyalty to any particular operator so would want one that deals with all major networks . But what about 5g ? Or is it to early to get a booster for that ( or even necessary) - I don’t have 5g in my area yet - just thinking ahead .

37 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

@dpmiller - what providers does yours cover ?? . Ali express makes it real hard to search for the exact model you want ...

My property is underground with a purpose fitted faraday cage and mobile signal (or radio or tv for that matter) cuts off as soon as you go in. I’m not worried about the phone but I wanted a simple to fit 4/5G router thingy so I bought the one in the attached link. It is hassle free and covers the whole property no problem (obviously not outside as the faraday cage works both ways), I have a Voda SIM card and this thing will run several things at once including an HD tv. It’s power consumption is minimal (I’m off grid). Another idea in the pot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TELTONIKA-RUT955-DUAL-SIM-3G-4G-LTE-M2M-ROUTER-with-RS232-RS485-GPS-UK-version/172976694046

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 20:53, Gav_P said:

Out of interest,  if it’s for your home why do you need any phone signal? Can’t you just use your broadband? 

I pay a few pence over £5 per month for my mobile contract, which while not unlimited, gives me all the calls I need.  The landline is there for broadband and receiving calls. I can't remember the last time I used the LL to make a call, it is too expensive.  About the only time I make a call on the LL is to an 0800 number which for some stupid reason is not free on a mobile.

My Tesco mobile contract is £7.50 and plenty fir me, the landline comes in at around £50 but my wife uses it fir some calls but I have not given the number to anyone I know so any incoming call is hers (well I make her answer it anyway ?).

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

I pay a few pence over £5 per month for my mobile contract, which while not unlimited, gives me all the calls I need.  The landline is there for broadband and receiving calls. I can't remember the last time I used the LL to make a call, it is too expensive.  About the only time I make a call on the LL is to an 0800 number which for some stupid reason is not free on a mobile.

To be fair, I don’t even have a LL phone plugged in. 
I do have unlimited data calls and texts on my mobile, but I still use the broadband when at home (including WiFi calling on my mobile). I would think we have close to 30 WiFi devices in our home, so this is why I wondered why people would want to use mobile phone network instead. 

14 hours ago, MrTrevithick said:

My property is underground with a purpose fitted faraday cage and mobile signal (or radio or tv for that matter) cuts off as soon as you go in. I’m not worried about the phone but I wanted a simple to fit 4/5G router thingy so I bought the one in the attached link. It is hassle free and covers the whole property no problem (obviously not outside as the faraday cage works both ways), I have a Voda SIM card and this thing will run several things at once including an HD tv. It’s power consumption is minimal (I’m off grid). Another idea in the pot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TELTONIKA-RUT955-DUAL-SIM-3G-4G-LTE-M2M-ROUTER-with-RS232-RS485-GPS-UK-version/172976694046

My problem is voice calls . Does this deal with that ??