Recommend me some gloss paint?

MJNewton

I've been out of the game (perhaps have never really been in it!) when it comes to paint for interior wood for a while now and am looking for recommendations for paint for doors, frames and skirting. The only requirements I've set so far is white and satin/eggshell finish. I am unclear on solvent (water/oil) and application method (brush/roller) too. I don't really mind the cost. If it's good I'll have it.

Edited by MJNewton

11 hours ago, Ian said:

Dulux Satinwood is great. It’s water based so really easy to use and it goes on great. It’s got a satin mid-gloss look

+1 to this but try and get the Trade tins as they are cheaper. B&Q used to do a 5 litre for less than £50 which is cheaper than any of the others. 

Thanks everyone. For once I am determined not to overthink this so will take a plunge. I may try the Dulux Satinwood as whilst I haven't used the water based one before it'd be interesting to compare to the oil based which I have (and which I have suffered yellowing with but that was its only downside). 

1 minute ago, MJNewton said:

Ah, okay. I assumed it was just more recent oil-based ones. 

If you look closely in the small print, usually they state "yellowing may occur". Its generally hard to notice yellowing, until you go to repaint, and then you see it a mile off.

• Thanks 1

The last tin of Dulux trade white satin I used said on the tin it was oil based and would eventually yellow especially if used in dark areas of rooms with limited exposure to sunlight. Dulux recommend water based to stay white. The trade paint coverage was better than standard Dulux but within a year I noticed it had already started to yellow when compared to some areas that I had to touch in. I have since used Zinisser water based white 'All Coat' which is highly recommended by trade and diy users on Screwfix feedback. It can be painted on wood, metal, plastic, needs no undercoat or rubbing down of gloss surfaces, dries tough in an hour or less but as with most water based paints needs some speed and skill to minimise brush marks. Says exterior on the tin but seems fine also for interior use and on the Zinisser website.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-all-coat-exterior-paint-white-1ltr/5946g

Edited by MAB
  • Thanks 1