Why are my lights flickering?

Bitpipe

I have low energy LED ceiling spots which run through a MK Grid dimmer unit.

When they'e on a 50% or so setting, they can pulse brighter and dimmer. No other circuit is effected in the house so bit of a mystery.

Spark swapped out the dimmer and a few of the ceiling units but its never gone away as an issue.

Any ideas?

3 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

When they'e on a 50% or so setting, they can pulse brighter and dimmer.

How fast/slow is the pulsing?

I've found some clusters of LEDs flicker badly when dimmed even with the right dimmer. This is particularly noticeable when viewed out of the corner of your eye because the edges of the eye evolved to see moving predators. Im talking about 50Hz flickering here.

Some LED bulbs can flash or pulse more slowly when dimmed below some percentage. Typically 20-25% not usually as high as 50%. I guess this is more like 1 to 5Hz flashing rather than flickering. I believe there are some dimmers that can be programmed to switch off when dimmed below a programmable value. Perhaps check the data sheet for your led lights to see how low they say they can be dimmed.

Edited by Temp

Yes, LEDs are dimmable and we have same MK dimmer unit and lights in many other rooms without issue.

Its not a fast flicker but a fade to dimmer or brighter state over the course of a second or so, whole effect lasts 2-3 seconds.

On 04/12/2020 at 12:31, Bitpipe said:

Yes, LEDs are dimmable and we have same MK dimmer unit and lights in many other rooms without issue.

Its not a fast flicker but a fade to dimmer or brighter state over the course of a second or so, whole effect lasts 2-3 seconds.

In the other rooms where you do not have the issue, do you have the same amount of leds?

You could  try swapping the dimmer with the one in the room that works to see if the problem moves.

Edited by wozza

Are these particular spots switched / wired otherwise any differently? Is that particular grid switch's wiring in closer proximity to the live feed(s) to the grid bank than the other light switches? In close proximity to any other non lighting circuit wiring?

It used to be that these new fangled CFLs could flicker even with the light switch off. Talk abounded of stray capacitance along the 3-core and earth wiring used for two way switching and induced voltage. Swapping the common / strappers around was a trick to try and/or along with fitting a "snubber" from Maplin usually. Actually an RC contact suppressor. (Not Radio Control ?).

RG22Y was the product code:

20151224_105612.thumb.jpg.064a0e582689c6f624154fb613407f68.jpg

What about trying a Danlers CAPLOAD?