Choosing a Warranty & Technical Requirements

I’m looking for some advice. 

I’ve got warranty quotes down to two providers - Advantage and ABC+ who both have a 2+8 formula for the 10 year warranty.  I’ve got quotes from a bunch of other providers too but they are a lot more. 
Does anyone have experience of either provider? I’m only taking the warranty for CIL purposes and despite asking my council if they’ll accept another form of proof, I’ve had no reply yet and can’t see one forthcoming at the moment. 

Is it  usual for them to ask for an asset list for those 2 years in case my builder goes bust post completion? There is also a list of IBG they want before they will issue any insurance certificate. This is my first time taking out a structural warranty so would welcome advice.

No but in general these warranties are seen as a necessary evil to allow future house sale / mortgage or meet another regulatory requirement.

They are notoriously difficult to claim against and the first recourse is always to go back to your builder / contractor etc.

My provider went bust before the policy went active (required BC sign off), was inherited by another firm who considered the first two years already spent and I got the basic 8 for my money. They offered a refund, which I seriously considered, but in the end decided to swallow it as we still need a mge for the next 8 years.

When I did come off the self build mge, the new provider's surveyor asked 'if' I had a warranty but never asked to see it.

So my view would be go as cheap as you can.

18 minutes ago, LondonMum said:

I’m definitely going as cheap as I can. Is providing a personal asset list a norm? The IBG I understand is.

As above Necessary evil Unlikely to ever pay out

Like others on here ours spent less than 30 minutes at the build and less than ten minutes on the final inspection 

The banks and building societies all have a list of warranty providers that they recognize 

Unfortunately The big two two Buildzone and Protect are pretty much recognized by all 

and are the most expensive 

A friend of ours decided to sell his forever home 12 months after he finished his build 

and paid an extra £500 for a retrospective warranty