Rules on LPG cylinder positioning?

ProDave

I personally think he’s talking rubbish, but I like to know some facts before I tell someone they are. 

I cannot find anything about a combustible surface, he’s probably mixing things up with flues from boilers and other regs. 

Like daves problem previously  i could I could solve it with smaller bottles. 

How could i work out how long a 19kg cylinder would last running just a gas hob. 

I run my range hob on 19kg bottles and they last forever ( I just  can’t remember when I last had bottles delivered). Just been to look and one is empty ready fir changeover and the other nearly full!!,? I do have a spare (left over from the caravan days) so will wait till two need changing before arranging full ones.

• Like 1

I considered switching from 47kg to 19kg cylinders but someone pointed out that smaller cylinders may not deliver the flow rate of gas required if your stove has a lot of rings.

10 minutes ago, Temp said:

I considered switching from 47kg to 19kg cylinders but someone pointed out that smaller cylinders may not deliver the flow rate of gas required if your stove has a lot of rings.

I once had LPG heating with gas bottles with 4 x 47kg set up with a changeover valve, so 2 were on at any one time.  I guess you could do the same with 19kg ones and the flow rate would be better than one at a time.

3 hours ago, Temp said:

I thought that was to do with the regulators not the size of the bottles? X amount of mbar pressure is the same across any size of storage afaik. Primary pressure is what is stored in the bottles, and working pressure in mbar is what is delivered in a controlled and regulated way, by the regulator. 
The changeover arrangements work at a set low pressure level before activating and changing from the spent bottle to the full, so @Temp I’d say that’s a bum steer you’ve been given. 

8 hours ago, Temp said:

rubbish, we have a range cooker and 19kg bottles, no flow problems at all!!,!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

regulator size is one issue, but flow rate at low temps with Butane is a known problem. Not so much Butane used any more tho...

Butane will not off gas much below 0 degrees C so would be pretty useless up here. It has to be Propane for outdoor cylinders.

Leave Butane for summer caravanning, though I still see no reason to use it and i had propane for my touring caravan.

• 1 month later...

Re visiting this as I am working on the sun room.

The CAT FLAP.

The above pictures say there must be 1M horizontally from a cylinder to an air brick, flue terminal or air intake.  I assume the same 1M would apply to a cat flap?

• 9 months later...

I need to store my 47kg propane cylinders over acodrains along a wall (which lead surface water  away from the house. From reading the 'Cylinder Storage info' above this is ok if I cover them and make them water tight for 2m in both directions (as I read it)? Any suggestions on how to do that? Could I fill them with gravel so water could still drain or do they make water proof/air tight covers?

On 09/03/2021 at 16:14, Russell griffiths said:

How could i work out how long a 19kg cylinder would last running just a gas hob. 

We had one at our last house for the hob only, and it lasted for absolutely ages, years, I think.

16 minutes ago, Jilly said:

I need to store my 47kg propane cylinders over acodrains along a wall (which lead surface water  away from the house. From reading the 'Cylinder Storage info' above this is ok if I cover them and make them water tight for 2m in both directions (as I read it)? Any suggestions on how to do that? Could I fill them with gravel so water could still drain or do they make water proof/air tight covers?

Lift out the slotted drain cover under the cylinders and 2M either side and replace with something solid, even treated timber, sealed as you insert it, should do. e.g. I would start by looking at decking planks and see how close they are to the required width and could they be planed or sawn to the correct width to drop in?

• Thanks 1

On 10/03/2021 at 07:22, joe90 said:

rubbish, we have a range cooker and 19kg bottles, no flow problems at all!!,!

I think they have a similar tank cross section to a full sized 47kg tank and hence the same surface cross section where evaporation can occur. All tanks need to absorb heat to drive the evaporation process so in theory during high demand in very cold weather there could be a problem with a smaller tank that has less metal exposed to soak up heat.

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Lift out the slotted drain cover under the cylinders and 2M either side and replace with something solid, even treated timber, sealed as you insert it, should do. e.g. I would start by looking at decking planks and see how close they are to the required width and could they be planed or sawn to the correct width to drop in?

But I'm worried I'll fail my surface water drainage tests....

7 minutes ago, Jilly said:

But I'm worried I'll fail my surface water drainage tests....

If rainwater started to pool on the solid cover, it would soon run along one way or the other to a slotted part of the drain and drain away.

Who will be doing these surface water drain tests? I have never heard of that before.