Don't laugh!!

Pete

We have numerous cupboards in our build and I have fitted sensor lights as it seemed a good idea at the time but now I have fitted the doors the lights come on as we walk past. I have reduced the sensitivity of the lights and they still turn on. Some of the doors fit into a rebate and as of yet are not able to be fully closed as there are no handles on but had a quick test by holding shut and the lights still come on. I think with the large gap at the bottom for the MVHR this lets the movement of somebody walking past be detected by the sensor. Some of the doors just close together so there is a gap between them and this is worse. So apart from having to reduce the gaps under the doors (not sure what I will do with the doors coming together) has anybody any ideas of what we can do or are we destined to have lights turning on as we walk past them!! TIA 

• Haha 1

As Peter W says block the sensor, you used to get strips of plastic to shield the pir sensor on external units to narrow the range

maybe reposition the sensor so the door has to be opened for a deliberate activation?

i have switches held in place with the door and when either of 2 open the cupboard light comes on, maybe easier to use a switch? 

• Thanks 1

+1^

I've used some insulation tape to cover some portions of my sensors so they don't trigger.

Magnetic reed switches would probably work and are also cheap. As they are cupboards, fitting them on the frames and inside surface of the day will at least mean they are out of sight when the doors are closed

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Glad it’s not just me that does this sort of thing ..!  Could be something you could try and fix with a bit of insulation tape on the sensor..??

Tried that and it did not work

18 minutes ago, TonyT said:

As Peter W says block the sensor, you used to get strips of plastic to shield the pir sensor on external units to narrow the range

maybe reposition the sensor so the door has to be opened for a deliberate activation?

i have switches held in place with the door and when either of 2 open the cupboard light comes on, maybe easier to use a switch? 

The sensor is part of the light so cannot be moved or alter circuit to put switch in

9 hours ago, Pete said:

I think with the large gap at the bottom for the MVHR this lets the movement of somebody walking past be detected by the sensor.

I haven't heard of this before. Rooms need door gaps, but cupboards? Do you have supply or extract vents inside the cupboard?

One other thought: PIR work on infrared and some amount of this will be visible through the door itself, depending on material. Seems unlikely but you could try bulking it up or temporarily sticking a sheet of aluminium foil over it as an experiment to figure out what is the pathway that needs blocking