Eps foundations

Buzz

Question , is anyone prepared to share any costing they have had for insulated foundation systems don’t mind if it was / is for supply only or supply and fix etc, the reason I am interested I have started to receive quotes in from general builders and T/F company’s for various parts of our build , one T/F company has included a passive foundation quote along with the frame quote now whilst the frame part of the quotation is unbelievably expensive on a like for like basis the foundation quote is closer to being reasonable . I had not really considered this type of foundation but the quote from the expensive T/F company comes in at £200 m2 give or take fitted with services , ufh and concrete , anyone care to share what they paid or have been quoted ?

• 1 month later...

I got quoted £36k for supply and fit of an insulated foundation system. Didn't include the initial site levelling. 

I'm now doing it myself..with my own groundworks. I bought a Kore foundation system (like many others here) which cost maybe 8.5k delivered. Ill be around 20-25k all in I think. Maybe not as much as that. 

I should add - its 190 sqm footprint! 

Edited by SuperJohnG

We were quoted about £18k for a passive standard foundation of about 130sqm from MBC but it was only as part of if we also bought their passive T/F kit and didn’t include prep work such as leveling and drainage etc. We’re not going down the T/F route, but still looking for alternative insulated slab options and prices so will follow this with interest!

@Buzz & @SuperJohnG what size of slab are you laying?

Edited by ZacP

@ZacP MBC use a Kore foundation system. Just go direct to kore foundation and get a price, I'd guess you'll be about maybe 4 or 5k or something for that size. You can go to tanners structural design direct or go through kore (you can reclaim the VAT for the engineering costs if you go through kore..?). 

I have a 250mm deep ring beam with 150mm main section. 

3 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Thanks @SuperJohnG back of a fag packet maths tells me somewhere around £45 m2 delivered , looking for the best cost vs quality system to cover 270m2. were they an easy company to deal with ?  

You won't beat Kore for price. Also Tanners structural design are regarded as the best going on this forum. I have good reports for both so far. 

Others are isoquick ans econekt. Both use a very similar interlocking system but no real advantage to warrant the big price increase IMO.

I havent installed mine yet (starts next week) but plenty others have. 

6 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

You won't beat Kore for price. Also Tanners structural design are regarded as the best going on this forum. I have good reports for both so far. 

Others are isoquick ans econekt. Both use a very similar interlocking system but no real advantage to warrant the big price increase IMO.

I havent installed mine yet (starts next week) but plenty others have. 

I have been doing my research on this forum and indeed it seems Kore are the go to guys and lots of love for Tanners ,  in a nice position where muck away costs will be not be applicable so might be a cost effective solution  for a superior product to block and beam .

Hello all.

Just to pick up a bit on ZacP's point.

A good comprehensive design should include a desk top study, site visits, Site investigation etc.. a lot of this is laid out in the good practice guides. Of course, it is up to the client as to whether they wish this type of comprehensive design. To avoid doubt the designer should spell out in their brief what they are and are not going to do. This is particularly important when dealing with less experienced domestic clients for example.

Once work gets underway it's worth considering what will happen if you encounter the unexpected, or the contractor starts to "go off piste".

If you start getting a feel that all is not quite going as it should then having the designer locally based can often nip this in the bud. On the upside you can also find that you maybe don't need to excavate so deep for example. Having the designer "round the corner" means that they can make on the spot decisions that will usually save you money. At the least they may stop everyone from falling out!

Lastly the use of ICF is becoming more main stream. The basic mechanics of sitting a structure on "squashy" insulation is faily well understood, the Canadians and those designing cold stores have long experience of this for example.

On the whole the basics of designing structures to rest on an insulated base is not too difficult, the devil can often be in the detailing of the reinforcement, drainage and other "quirky" bits. Here you can often add days to the detailed design time and this comes at a cost.. hence the variation that folk often see in the structural design quotations.

55 minutes ago, ZacP said:

@SuperJohnG tanners seem a bit expensive? How did they compare for you? 

also feel that a SE should visit site, guess they didn’t for you?

Tanners were 1300 euros (or thereabouts) for my foundation design. I found this fine?

I did have an SE visit site, I have a superstructure engineer who was doing the SIPS kit engineering and also the SER. They visited and done the soil investigation, I then sent the report to tanners and they coordinated to do foundation design.

If you are getting a KORE system, I'd only say use tanners. Tried and tested by many here and trusted.  They don't need to visit site they just need the foundation loads and the SI. 

• 3 weeks later...