Timber type for solid stair treads

GaryM

Hi All

I'm looking for advice on what type of timber to use deep treads on a steel and timber stair case. I'm looking at using a local fabricator to do the staircase stringers and balustrade with myself making the treads.  The stair case will be a bit industrial and i don't mind if the treads are a little rustic.

I want the threads to be solid wood, 88mm deep, 250 wide by 900. so what type of wood for this? and who could supply at this size.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions

Thanks

88mm is an odd size but if you bought oak  railway sleepers you could plane and cut them down. 

Nice detail (and keep BCO happy) would be to cut them to L shapes so you  only need to cut 30mm or so out of the backs. Can be had reasonably cheaply and with 2 from each sleeper you won’t need that many. 

Currently wrestling with pretty much the same scenario.  Seems many stair makers argue a tread made from a single solid piece will always give problems.  Its also heavy and expensive at 88mm thick.  I've been looking at iwood for oak, they say the bigger single piece you want the more expensive (not just proportionally) it is.  With iwood roughcut oak is max 230 and planed all round drops to 224mm, so the 50 measurement drops to 44 I think....2 of which glued together gives you your 88....at a cost of near £75 a tread and still needing a 26x88 nosing ! 

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

88mm is an odd size but if you bought oak  railway sleepers you could plane and cut them down. 

Nice detail (and keep BCO happy) would be to cut them to L shapes so you  only need to cut 30mm or so out of the backs. Can be had reasonably cheaply and with 2 from each sleeper you won’t need that many. 

We have the L shaped ones. Made in Poland and they look amazing. Not fitted yet (still sorting sensor lights?). Will post some pics later. 

7 hours ago, Russdl said:

We’re planning on a 34mm timber tread, rebated on to a 10mm steel plate. To satisfy building regs we plan on using Perspex like this staircase we saw a while ago. 

453FF766-9FE1-4A05-8CFC-6F70C3C0E557.jpeg

99AB5487-D73E-4990-9FEE-F1327CBD7AB0.jpeg

They are rebated underneath to fit metal staircase and colour matched to Oak floor on the landing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

We have the L shaped ones. Made in Poland and they look amazing. Not fitted yet (still sorting sensor lights?). Will post some pics later. 

They are rebated underneath to fit metal staircase and colour matched to Oak floor on the landing.

Pictures of my treads. Just got to fit them!!

16069038705681123405257753024906.jpg

16069039085974959324845406155149.jpg

1606903941745365351605700508620.jpg

18 hours ago, PeterW said:

The step rise is 188mm and the max open gap is 100mm so 88 

Will oak sleeps crack to much?

3 hours ago, GaryM said:

They look good.

How are they connected to the stringer?

The middle photo shows a rebate and this sits onto a 10mm plate that connects the strings together. In this metal plate there are 6 holes to attach the wooden treads to. The bottom photo is what you will see when fitted and hopefully matches the Oak floor on the landing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would show some pics of our timber treads in situ. We are really pleased with them and they are very solid. The second pic shows the top of the stair treads were they meet the oak flooring on the landing and it is a perfect match apart from the different make up of the wood detail. The wooden treads and wooden flooring are completely different manufacturers so we are really pleased with the colour match

16126963603354681386916754921526.jpg

16126963881733981767512753494151.jpg

• Like 4