EPS Foundations.

Big Jimbo

What a strange call. Just asked Kore if i can use there foundation products close to large trees. Answer "Dont Know"...... My question. Why don't you know ? Told ask your engineer. I told them that they should know if they want to sell there product, and that if i ask an engineer he will simple opt for something that he better understands like piling..... Anybody on here know ? Thanks.

6 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

... if i ask an engineer he will simple opt for something that he better understands like ...

If you ask an engineer at random, maybe, yes.

But if you ask an engineer who has experience with the product (Kore) and proximity to trees, then I suspect the answer will be more qualified. In addition to considering answers suggested here,   as standard procedure, Due Diligence needs to be done. 

• Like 1

Kore don't seem to have any engineers, at least that's what I found from the technical queries we had with them. Part of the reason why we ended up with a ground bearing slab, too much time wasted going down routes that ended up not working.

• Like 1

I think you may be asking the wrong question to the wrong person....

The question is really about design of foundations close to trees, specifically an insulated passive slab foundation in your case?  The question should be addressed to a experienced structural engineer. The foundationd design will be specific to the site  and its parametes - soil conditions, proximity to tress etc.

My passive slab foundation was installed by MBC and designed by Tanner Structural Designs Limited, who were a little concerned about its proximity to two big oak tress and other smaller tress and hedges.  They specified a much deeper excavation and filling with MOT Type3  stone nearer the big trees than typical for  a site without my specific  tree issue.  

Edited by HerbJ

23 minutes ago, HerbJ said:

I think you may be asking the wrong question to the wrong person....

The question is really about design of foundations close to trees, specifically an insulated passive slab foundation in your case?  The question should be addressed to a experienced structural engineer. The foundationd design will be specific to the site  and its parametes - soil conditions, proximity to tress etc.

My passive slab foundation was installed by MBC and designed by Tanner Structural Designs Limited, who were a little concerned about its proximity to two big oak tress and other smaller tress and hedges.  They specified a much deeper excavation and filling with MOT Type3  stone nearer the big trees than typical for  a site without my specific  tree issue.  

I agree with this. Kore just supply EPS, as to many other companies. surely it's down to the SE to determine the load on the insulation and the effect the trees will have on them. and surely the answer depends on the situation and the trees!

I too have used TSD for our foundations for the basement and rest of the house and they've designed a Kore system but have said that EPS is EPS and can be sourced from anywhere as long as the correct compressive strength EPS is used.

• Thanks 1