Steel frame barn conversion

Craigjm

11 hours ago, Tom said:

+1 for this. If you remove the barn structure there will be nothing left to convert.

Around here, with Part Q timber build conversions, they get round the regulations by jacking up the roof structure with Acros, removing the walls and rebuilding them, then remove the roof and rebuild.

45 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Around here, with Part Q timber build conversions, they get round the regulations by jacking up the roof structure with Acros, removing the walls and rebuilding them, then remove the roof and rebuild.

It does seem mad though doesn't it! Would save so much more time, money and effort if LPA's could be a bit more pragmatic. I think the lesson is to find out what your LPA are prepared to accept - find similar Part Q's in your area and talk to them, look on the planning portal etc. Every area seems to interpret the legislation slightly differently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

I did exactly that with a small barn on the side of my cottage in Shropshire, took photos as evidence, planners didn’t like it but hey ?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

around here in East Suffolk the LPA are really fussy, they refuse about 70% of barn conversion apps, but that said, once you have planning they never seem to check it, unless someone reports it.

Suffolk Coastal & Waveney joined last year and are now East Suffolk covering a huge area, but have only one enforcement officer who I used to work with.

My neighbours are really happy we are converting as the barn is an eyesore, so we are very unlikely to get anyone saying anything here.