Drinking softened water

Do you??

We’re at first fix stage and a discussion has started about drinking water that’s been softened vs leaving kitchen taps on hard water. 

Apparently it tastes yuk. Personally I think practically all tap water tastes yuk, but does it taste really rank?

If you have a water softener do you drink it and do you like it? 

From our experience I wouldn’t say it tastes yuk,  but it’s definitely not as pleasant to drink as the water from the kitchen sink without the softener. I would leave the kitchen sink taps hard and will be doing so on our current build. 

I guess it depends a lot on your local area though. North west Wiltshire here. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mandana said:

We have had water softeners for nearly thirty years and Wendy drinks tea and coffee made with softened water. I rarely drink hot drinks but drink cold water and use a water filter.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

We have had water softeners for nearly thirty years and Wendy drinks tea and coffee made with softened water. I rarely drink hot drinks but drink cold water and use a water filter.

Do you filter hard or soft water?

On 01/12/2020 at 00:02, Mandana said:

Do you??

We’re at first fix stage and a discussion has started about drinking water that’s been softened vs leaving kitchen taps on hard water. 

Apparently it tastes yuk. Personally I think practically all tap water tastes yuk, but does it taste really rank?

Bit late to this, but I believe building regs requires you to have an unsoftened outlet (and maybe even requires that to be in the kitchen).

I drink softened water all the time (bathroom tap) and it tastes fine to me.