Should my Ecodan system sound like this?

Bozza

New Ecodan ASHP system.  Pre plumbed unvented mains pressure water heater.  Attachment is noise from water heater during evening when no hot water being used and central heating quite low.

Engineer has got me to turn off frost feature thing and increase bar pressure to 2.  

Tonight I’ve turned off whole system, so I can sleep as like trying to sleep in a ships engine room.

any ideas?

also, and is it me or is the FTC5 controller, and the whole system incredibly difficult to understand?  Struggling here....

14 hours ago, PeterW said:

What is the circulation pump set to..?

Is it definitely coming from the tank..?

I’m not sure about the pump setting the engineer (over the phone) did mention that could be an issue and may need to be adjusted (down?)

From tank ? I think so but so loud difficult to pinpoint.  Certainly to right side of equipment as opposed to expansion vessels top left.

pic attached.

thanks Peter

1D6101A1-F0AE-4B9F-9D74-DC1617D9087E.jpeg

We have this system.  As @ProDave said, you can alter the speed settings on two of the pumps.  Other option is to use the schedule function so that the unit doesn't operate overnight (or during the key hours when you are trying to get to sleep).   There are advance setting where you can set the length of time the circulation pumps continue to circulate after the actual heating DHW production has ceased.

• 1 year later...

Dear OP, 

This post was some time ago now and I’m hoping you might be able to update on this? Did the settings changes fix the problem of noise? 

We moved to a new build 6 months ago with the Ecodan system (FTS6) and we have the exact same noise issue. 3 of the upstairs rooms are unusable due to the stressful high pitch frequency noise that runs through them as a result. All downstairs (open plan) also has high pitch noise constantly. We’re in hell. 

Mitsubishi on phone say there shouldn’t be any disturbing noises from their systems but our builder and developer claim the noises are ‘normal’ and nothing can be done. They refuse to pay for Mitsubishi to visit (£300) because a Mitsubishi engineer had already visited for a separate reason: to look at a angle grind noise from the outside pump and they state we ‘should’ have said something then. But we DID say something then! The engineer dismissed our concerns and said the noise was normal and nothing can be done. He didn’t even mention settings. We’ve stated this but it gets ignored. 

On the phone Mitsubishi are clear that their systems should not cause enough noise to be a disturbance. The site manager also recently acknowledged the noise isn’t normal too but asked not to be named saying that …

Any thoughts? 

@SJP try turning the pump speeds down. You can enter the advanced settings on the controller, think you hold the circular button with lines down for few seconds. That then put you into the advanced side of the menu tree. Go to the settings bit and look through all the bits in there, think the commisioing wizard bit is where the pump settings are hidden.

On 11/02/2022 at 20:39, LA3222 said:

@SJP try turning the pump speeds down. You can enter the advanced settings on the controller, think you hold the circular button with lines down for few seconds. That then put you into the advanced side of the menu tree. Go to the settings bit and look through all the bits in there, think the commisioing wizard bit is where the pump settings are hidden.

Thanks for this it’s definitely something I’d be prepared to try, however we have been told if we tamper with anything with the system it will affect the warranty. Any thoughts on this?

On 11/02/2022 at 21:40, Simplysimon said:

it would be ideal if posters came back if/when issue was resolved, i know some do and it helps the community

This is so true. Maybe I should start a new post on this issue and come back with updates? We can’t live with it as it is so they’ll be a useful story here on outcome I think.

1 hour ago, SJP said:

however we have been told if we tamper with anything with the system it will affect the warranty

That means if you physically alter or change components. There is nothing to stop you changing the settings. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Peter W. Still having a nightmare with this. Independent engineer actually said our pump needed turning up because of flow rate problems …Error code and full system fail recently as well as glycol leaks. Noise reading 60 decibels but contractors claiming they can’t hear the noise, implying 60 decibels is subjective! Constant minimisation. We have a battle on our hands to sort I think. Will update.