Hi all,

Been lurking a while soaking up the wisdom, while our plans percolate and mature.  Already been an enducation!

Just in the process ofr finalising the techincal specs for a new 5 bed house in Hampshire in the Meon Valley area.

Some details of what we will be attmepting to lure others into conversation on same topics and steal their knowlesge...:-)

Pile and beam foundation: After much to and fro between geotechnical engineer, architect and structural engineer on foundation type...I had wanted to do an unsulated/pasive slab which builder and I could have laid ourselves. Vetoed 

Hempcrete build as far as we can.Trying to build as sustainably as possible, interested what we can do with the material and helps to avoid competition for bricks...only competiing interests are horses for bedding......  Trying to get as energy efficient without committing to passive house as too constraining on design and I do like open windows at times. 

Still figuring out energy mix: Solar PV and thermal definitely,  UFH,  then debating on whether an ASHP  or GSHP  is going to pay back if the house is highly insulated. But how else do I cover the heating gap Recoup waste heat with MVHR. We are off-grid for gas otherwise I did like the look of the integrated Viessmann fuel cell/gas boiler.

As in Southdown National park, stricty nitrogen requirements, so foul drainage  going through septic tank and reed beds and pond to drainage field. 

Off mains drains. To manage rain water drainage on the plot I thought I might as well  try my hand at creating a natural swimming pool.  They are nice to look at and it will be an adventure!

Anyway that is us for now! Hope to start the build in January for a couple of years.  We live on the site in a bungalow which we have to demolish afterwards, so we can take our time and enjoy hte journey. 

Cheers

Paul