We did it!

Today we received a completion certificate for our new house - our home!

It took us 61 weeks from breaking ground - and these included a very wet winter seasons, a change of builders mid-project, difficult neighbours, sacking the PM, a lockdown, tons of remedial works, and another lockdown!

What a journey - feels surreal! Could not have done it without you lot here - love this forum totally :)

Before and after pics are below

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-30 at 10.43.43.jpeg

IMG-1663.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Bored Shopper said:

Once we clear the house of all the s**t in the movers boxes, will try and post interior photos.

(might take another 61 weeks!..)

Garden still looks heavily bombed though...

IMG-1575_(1).jpg

Nah... Thats just 'Shabby Chic'. All the rage these days I've heard! Or 'Distressed Industrial'.... your choice!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I made the mistake of having my ground harrowed with a Tractor just before it rained hard, I now have an acre of paddy field and been told it will not dry out till the summer ?

Just don't do a Jonny Kingdom / John Archer; we want you here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

I made the mistake of having my ground harrowed with a Tractor just before it rained hard, I now have an acre of paddy field and been told it will not dry out till the summer ?

We had to dig up and remove a couple of tons of clay layer which resided under the ancient shed which we demolished. It was so compacted you could swim there after a mild rain. 

Then took a couple of days to aerate (a killer of a job!!!). Some patches are still less than ideal, but we're not walking on the lawn for now, leaving it to rest, and will do more aeration come summer.

If one spot would be particularly difficult, I'm prepared to concede to a rain garden patch...

I wonder if good thick lawn actually sucks out any excess moisture from underneath?? Also we have a mature magnolia bang in the middle (supposed to be a mid-thirsty tree), and will plant lots of borders and roses to help suck out water and break out any hard deposits...

round here (clay moorland) farmers roll grass regularly rather than airate it so rainwater runs off not soaks in. I managed to get lawn seed selected for clay ground as the roots go deeper. (I just hope it can swim?)