Cost of 'additional' spotlights and sockets in newbuild...are we being gouged?

Stephen Aitch

We are seeking to put in some additional double sockets and spotlights in our newbuild.

Builder initially said it would be c. £60 for each double socket.  He is now saying £120!

The schneider sockets themselves cost c. £20 each, but £120 sounds like a lot for some wiring.

We are also being told £130 for each additional spotlight.  Again the fitting is not driving the cost here.... 

Any advice appreciated.

many thanks,

Steve

Edited by Stephen Aitch

Developers don't like deviating from a standard spec.  If you informed them before first fix the additional cost should be trivial, but they seem to just milk you instead.

I have retro fitted additional stuff to a new build after they have moved in for less than the builders wanted.

Seems close to standard persimmon homes extras.

builder probably gave you the £60 figure before he spoke to the spark, extras/day works  are where everyone in the trade makes money!

a friend unfortunately bought one of their homes 

• 11 months later...

My personnel opinion...... Big builders on the mass homes work to a very standard copy & paste routine, it's factory housing done very efficiently! Therefore any slight deviation causes them significantly more effort just because of the extra admin, paperwork, ordering, checking, permissions etc behind the scenes. I am guessing It isn't as simple as a sparky nipping to screwfix, buying 8 instead of 6 and taking the £100 cash off you next day.

The big-builder will have bulk ordered all the standard LEDs for that batch of housing off the generic copy & paste plans, then allocated the stock copy & paste allocation etc etc...now you want 4 more, so their central team will need to go back to their paperwork to update your specific house & confirm it can be done, then updated drawings & re-issue bespoke... then go to their approved supplier to find, allocate & track the extra few lights all the way back to your individual plot & team working on it.....for your sparky to install to updated needs.

Coming from a different industry, but not totally dissimilar in principle.... we have got the art of building POSH @ cheap (without cutting quality), just down to a massively fine tuned & refined process & efficient order/speccing/management.....this is great for the 99% standard...but that 1% causes a huge amount of extra work to modify off spec.... which is why it is rarely accepted -OR- done off-factory, at significantly extra cost.

40 minutes ago, Andehh said:

My personnel opinion...... Big builders on the mass homes work to a very standard copy & paste routine, it's factory housing done very efficiently! Therefore any slight deviation causes them significantly more effort just because of the extra admin, paperwork, ordering, checking, permissions etc behind the scenes. I am guessing It isn't as simple as a sparky nipping to screwfix, buying 8 instead of 6 and taking the £100 cash off you next day.

The big-builder will have bulk ordered all the standard LEDs for that batch of housing off the generic copy & paste plans, then allocated the stock copy & paste allocation etc etc...now you want 4 more, so their central team will need to go back to their paperwork to update your specific house & confirm it can be done, then updated drawings & re-issue bespoke... then go to their approved supplier to find, allocate & track the extra few lights all the way back to your individual plot & team working on it.....for your sparky to install to updated needs.

Coming from a different industry, but not totally dissimilar in principle.... we have got the art of building POSH @ cheap (without cutting quality), just down to a massively fine tuned & refined process & efficient order/speccing/management.....this is great for the 99% standard...but that 1% causes a huge amount of extra work to modify off spec.... which is why it is rarely accepted -OR- done off-factory, at significantly extra cost.

Unless they have sufficient flexibility built into their process which, given they often offer options, seems logical to me.

To op: careful planning may have some value here, or can you use an option such as turning a doubles into quadruples later (depending on rules for extension wiring)?

I have just been wondering this very same question.

I have just had a quote from my electrician for labour only for extra spotlights, light switches and sockets - he is charging £50 each labour only and I am supplying materials. I am contracting directly with him.

I was wondering whether this was fair, but based on the above, I guess it is.

Am in Farnham Surrey, if that helps.