Jeremy Harris' Blog

DInwood

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

When do you think i will be able to buy an EV for £3K and expect 9 or 10 years life from it

what I want to know, though hybrids are down in value last time I looked.  They are the better option for me.

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Is that what your lease payments cover, and you have all the restrictions i.e. limited milage, only two scratches, no tears in seat fabric, no shoeprints on head lining.

Yep but you either take a small insurance package to cover dents & scratches, get them fixed ahead of return or just take the knock when you hand it in.

Still cheaper than funding with a loan. 

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Are the people that are making that car boomers?

(suspect that some of it is inheritance money from the sale of his family farm, which is close to me)

Seems that this is more a case of intergenerational wealth distribution.

Still a ridiculous amount of money for a car.  My 500 quid car can go further between fill ups.

He doesn't have kids, does he? Lucky barsteward. No wonder he has money to burn.

I,m waiting for the bog std -little  or no frills EV or hybrid  at the cheap end of the market --which must come eventually -too many gadgets on many modern car ,

or maybe by that time house is built  I might look for something good s/h and solid body to convert to EV --so only the drain train is EV

still on the fence -would have preferred they went the hydrogen  way as every car maker in the world know how to make piston engines --had 100 years practise

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I watched one of those programmes that converted an old classic to EV (which is a crime!) and the conversion was £30k ?

Guilty as charged (no punn intended), im on with converting a Lotus Esprit after too many break downs, non starting, petrol leaks, gearbox problems, clutch problems etc etc. 

Im looking at it being a useful toy as opposed to an unreliable, temperamental garage weight

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, markc said:

Lotus

Lots of trouble, usually serious.

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

would have preferred they went the hydrogen  way as every car maker in the world know how to make piston engines --had 100 years practise

Why, probably worse for the environment than a modern gasoline engine.

Carbon Dioxide is not the only greenhouse gas.

• Like 1

This half hour editing limit is a (expletive deleted)ing nonsense.

Wanted to add this.

Not as if the electric motor,  batteries, or even fuel cells are 21st century technology.

When the electronics comes from the 1960s.

53 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

probably worse for the environment than a modern gasoline engine.

Didn’t know that, what else (apart from water) does it emit?

is it not the mining of precious metals by poor people around the world a big concern as well?

Edited by joe90

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Oxides of nitrogen.

To get higher efficiency you need higher temperatures. This means higher pressures. 

High temperature and pressure, plus nitrogen, oxygen and combustions is how you make NO and NO2.

The mining thing is probably an overstated issue. Partly to do with the definition of child labour i.e. under 16. I also believe that employing very young children us not an effective way to make things.

Though I am sure there are isolated incidences of child labour, and slavery, still happening.

2 hours ago, markc said:

Guilty as charged (no punn intended), im on with converting a Lotus Esprit after too many break downs, non starting, petrol leaks, gearbox problems, clutch problems etc etc. 

Im looking at it being a useful toy as opposed to an unreliable, temperamental garage weight

Still waiting to see your blog on this build ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Still waiting to see your blog on this build ?

I must get around to getting something on paper .... screen. Ive build the subframe for the motor, coupling and Diff, bespoke drive shafts are next on the list

• Like 3

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

is it not the mining of precious metals by poor people around the world a big concern as well?

I,m not bothering to answer @SteamyTea and correcting him as all he wants is an argument 

as the atmosphere is 80% N -- you will get  some -- not to any great level -

-there will be oxides of N  created probably by the magnetic fields in a big electric motor ,but as it is not totalled encased and going through an exhaust it is not measured+ lots of cooling of it - -

-and production of electric causes pollution as well --no matter how it is made  and no waste precious metals to dump or recycle -- and there will be no recycling while it is cheaper to dig new lithium up and process it --even more pollution from that .-

and we will never have a shortage  H2O-- ,and the by product from electroylsis  to split it  --oxygen is useful as well 

everything you do to release energy -causes pollution -- how much and how long term viable it is  should be the goal -not another cheap fix like oil

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

there will be oxides of N  created probably by the magnetic fields in a big electric motor

You never studied physics or chemistry then.

11 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

and production of electric causes pollution as well

How do you intend to make hydrogen then, steam reforming?

12 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

no waste precious metals to dump or recycle

What are these new ICE vehicle mad from, Unobtanium.

13 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

and there will be no recycling while it is cheaper to dig new lithium up and process it

Most lithium is from lithium salts, not mined from rock, deep in the ground.  While the current process is not that environmentally good, there is a lot of scope for getting a clean mining system up and running (they are thinking of doing it near me, and we have some of the most stringent environmental laws going when it comes to metal mining).

16 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

all he wants is an argument

No, I want to educate people, rather than listen to unfounded opinion and zombie facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_reforming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium

22 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

You never studied physics or chemistry then.

How do you intend to make hydrogen then, steam reforming?

What are these new ICE vehicle mad from, Unobtanium.

Most lithium is from lithium salts, not mined from rock, deep in the ground.  While the current process is not that environmentally good, there is a lot of scope for getting a clean mining system up and running (they are thinking of doing it near me, and we have some of the most stringent environmental laws going when it comes to metal mining).

No, I want to educate people, rather than listen to unfounded opinion and zombie facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_reforming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium

you just said it all 

"those that can  DO --those that can,t --teach"

and to quote wikipedia -- ----------------

33 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Lads, can you not disagree in a more instructive way? 

One of the ways I taught teachers to teach was to get them arguing for a concept with which they disagreed.  

Why don't you both try that? Much more interesting. 

Ok boomer

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

One of the ways I taught teachers to teach was to get them arguing for a concept with which they disagreed

when I was a child I remember my father and grandfather arguing about politics (on which they always disagreed!) and my older brother joined in and spouted stuff I knew he didn’t believe. After it was all over I asked my brother what had changed his mind and he told me he had not, but added he was playing devils advocate to stimulate conversation ?.