Jeremy Harris' Blog

DInwood

18 hours ago, Stones said:

For everyone who has been asking, I gave Jeremy a call yesterday.

The good news is he has recovered from his injury and having to take rather unpleasant medication alongside that.

On the Buildhub front, Jeremy was undertaking a lot of the day to day background admin work of the forum prior to his injury.  Having been away from it, he has been less inclined to get back involved and has various other interests which occupy his time.

His missing blog is simply down to the EU domain being shut down.  Unfortunately, that's where his back up was hosted as well so what's here on Buildhub is it, unless he can dig out a hard back up copy (which he thinks he has).  

That's all there is. Hopefully he will return at some point in the future.

Good to hear.

There are umpteen dated copies on archive.org here:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/mayfly.eu

Alternatively if he has not got to the end of his year's hosting account, his internet host may have one that will unwrap to the whole thing.

F

this is excellent news and i was wondering for a long time what happened there- but thats live, we move on once building is done and then come back to this forum once the next project is in line ...

This is still the best resource of knowledge BY FAR....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

this is excellent news and i was wondering for a long time what happened there- but thats live, we move on once building is done and then come back to this forum once the next project is in line ...

This is still the best resource of knowledge BY FAR....

Some of us are here for life... ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually quite tempted in my will to leave my user id and password to one of my grand children to continue the legacy . Also means I don't have to finish the build in my lifetime!. I think @Onoff is using the same logic; start it and let some other mug finish it.

I can just see it many generations from now , that post "Leaky walk on Glazing" - much better than a head stone to remember me by.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pocster said:

. I think @Onoff is using the same logic; start it and let some other mug finish it.

Nah, his kids would see sense and sell it as a plot for someone to flatten like 90% of the other places up there. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, newhome said:

Nah, his kids would see sense and sell it as a plot for someone to flatten like 90% of the other places up there. 

You say that but we've three new neighbours this end this year and none are knocking down / rebuilding. Presume they'll just go for a 50% extension if they can. 

18 minutes ago, pocster said:

Especially the bathroom - they'd knock that straight out and do it properly. 

If I had the dosh I wouldn't bat an eyelid flattening the whole place Including the bathroom.

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If I had the dosh I wouldn't bat an eyelid flattening the whole place Including the bathroom.

You don't need the money. Look at me - you just build as the cash comes in. yeah ok it might take 20 years but so what. Your great, great, great,great,great,great,great grand child can look at your tiling and think WTF!. Rip it all off and do it properly 

14 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You say that but we've three new neighbours this end this year and none are knocking down / rebuilding. Presume they'll just go for a 50% extension if they can. 

3 new neighbours! That’s some feat to p*ss off 3 sets of old ones ?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, pocster said:

You don't need the money. Look at me - you just build as the cash comes in. yeah ok it might take 20 years but so what. Your great, great, great,great,great,great,great grand child can look at your tiling and think WTF!. Rip it all off and do it properly 

Great idea I could buy a brick per month.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Looks like he's switching cars, so more likely to be on the Speak EV forums now than on the Tesla UK forum - but is/was an asset to both. Regulars here on build hub won't be surprised to see in depth technical commentary on the finer points of electrical circuits. After all, why buy one when you can build one yourself ?

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

Reading Jeremy’s thoughts on his Tesla confirms it won’t be on my shopping list. 

I have not heard of this braking issue.  Sound scary.

And wipers should be very quick to adjust.  With an iPace being designed by a British team, they understand rain and more importantly, drizzle onto dirty roads.

Interesting to hear Jeremy,s still on the ball, just a different subject matter. I hate the thought of “ a computer driving/having final control” even my parking sensors beep all the time driving down Devons rural roads but at least I can press one button to silence them for the rest of the journey. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I have not heard of this braking issue.  Sound scary.

And wipers should be very quick to adjust.  With an iPace being designed by a British team, they understand rain and more importantly, drizzle onto dirty roads.

I am surprised to read that JH splashed out £65,000+ on the Ipace without a test drive considering that he is the world's most demanding consumer.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I am surprised to read that JH splashed out £65,000+ on the Ipace without a test drive considering that he is the world's most demanding consumer.

*checks notes on Jezza’s age*

Boomers, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ironically I got rid of an iPace for a Tesla Model 3. I found the JLR software to be clunky and slow with boot times of stupid proportions, the OTA updates didn't work and so it was back and forth to the service centre for software updates and the matrix headlights I ordered didn't work from day one. despite 3 months of JLR trying to fix them they couldn't (involving many condescending conversations with their 'technicians' asking if I'd turned it on properly and then saying 'the headlights work fine' when taking it for a test drive in the day time!) I'd had enough and gave the car back for a full refund and went and got a model 3 and saved nearly £35k. now if I have a problem the remote ranger comes to my house to fix the car, the software is fast and responsive and, contrary to Jeremy's post I find the wipers work ok and if not then a quick click on the button on the stalk clears the window and they can always be set by voice command if required. Also, I had a Porsche Panamera previously and that had many false alarms when going round bends on narrow roads so to just label the Model 3 with the 'false alarm scary braking' label is a bit harsh as I find that a lot of cars have this false alarm issue.

horses for courses as they say but I will never buy another JLR.

46 minutes ago, daiking said:

Boomers, eh

Are the people that are making that car boomers?

(suspect that some of it is inheritance money from the sale of his family farm, which is close to me)

Seems that this is more a case of intergenerational wealth distribution.

Still a ridiculous amount of money for a car.  My 500 quid car can go further between fill ups.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

The new Audi eTron GT is getting good reviews and looks amazing. However the boot capacity is not compatible with my current lifestyle choices (teenagers, dog etc..).

Looking to take the eTron 55KW SUV for a test once the dealers are open again - the BIK for electric is super low again so cheaper to business lease through ltd.co and have as company car vs my current Q5 on personal lease.

Jeremy has always been open that he got a rather generous deal to take early retirement from the MoD which helped fund his build etc. Also, you'd be hard pushed to find anyone paying upfront for a car these days, leasing is the dominant model so as long as you can afford the monthly payments.

• Like 1