Jeremy Harris' Blog

DInwood

9 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

I have not been here for anything like as long as others but, tbo i thought he liked to think he was smarter than everybody else, and when challenged he would try and twist what people said to make them look bad, and him good. Im sure he was a smart chap, but defo liked to think he knew more than anybody else, and didn;t like being confronted.

sorry but I disagree with you on this one, he was sometimes misquoted and some didn’t like his sticking to his guns regarding his answers. Frankly his knowledge on all things was extensive.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I have not been here for anything like as long as others but, tbo i thought he liked to think he was smarter than everybody else, and when challenged he would try and twist what people said to make them look bad, and him good. Im sure he was a smart chap, but defo liked to think he knew more than anybody else, and didn;t like being confronted.

He was nothing like that in person, very generous with his time, and enthusiastic about things, including Morris Dancing and techno music.

14 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Yes, clever bloke.  I liked his Scrapheap Challenge and that he knows Scoraig.  I would happily have a pint with him.  I think he is very sound.

I have had several pints with him and he is very, very sound.

He took a 60 mile detour once just to drop off an unused tub of waterproofer at my build and would not take a penny for it, ditto some 16mm pex connectors that he posted out. Also the time he spent building and sharing SAP models, calcs,  etc on this forum were significant.

He often admitted that he found it difficult to read emotion into online conversations so sometimes came across as aloof, which was unintentional.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

He's sent me a CNC control board he wasn't using and did some 3D printing for me. Also a media player. All FOC. All without any fanfare other than a nice offer. 

I've reciprocated and sent him memory sticks, some heavy duty electromagnets...think that's all.

That's how it should work imo. 

I'd love to know if he ever did complete his ACME pheasant trap! 

Road-Runner-si-Wile-E-Coyote.jpg.641dd684ead28ce59faf13bdc673f782.jpg

Anyway forums are a bit notorious for stuff like this, you lose the nuances of face to face interaction and it's easy to take or cause offence. It also takes time to develop relationships even virtual ones. We can't all sit down and have a pint together and thrash things out / bond. Chuck in quirky, eccentric personalities etc. Let's face it if you're into self building or heavy DIY you're probably not normal and sweat the detail, some more than others! ?

Edited by Onoff
did not done...
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Declan, he's free to join this thread is he not?

Was it you that pissed him off.

I would like to know that he is safe and well.

Can always send him a Christmas card.

Edited by SteamyTea

If you say his name three times, he'll appear and explain to you why there's no such thing as thermal mass.

He lives near my sister, I'd always wanted to see his house next time I was over visiting. Don't think that's going to happen now.

Edited by Conor
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Was it you that pissed him off.....

We just don't know.

The online environment - asynchronous and written - can often appear unforgiving, uncaring. Words written with a smile and in haste can be read with a frown. Non verbal cues absent,  we are all forced to grope for the true meaning of what's meant - and everyone misreads some of the time. 

Online, it's hard to show that your tongue is in your cheek.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Online, it's hard to show that your tongue is in your cheek.

Why I never use emojis, keep the bastards guessing.

Thing is we know there are some people that know the reason he stopped posting, but they are keeping quiet.  Not sure what they are protecting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Thing is we know there are some people that know the reason he stopped posting, but they are keeping quiet.  Not sure what they are protecting.

@SteamyTea, it doesn't matter. 

He's still here for me. I sometimes do buildhub searches refined by screen name,  most often his. I have a great deal to thank him for. 

So, Jezza,  publicly, I say thanks for all your help. And entertainment. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Conspiracy theory? I don’t know who ‘some people’ are but it’s definitely not the management team here. Absolutely no one knows why he stopped posting unless ‘some people’ are a different group. My (personal) theory is that it coincided with someone else being brought onboard to help with the system admin load (at Jeremy’s request). Once that was done maybe he decided to take some time out and found other things to occupy his mind? Who knows because the FMG don’t know either. 

I write this only because people seem to be adding 2 and 2 and making 5 or 6. There has been no great drama. Not that I am aware of anyway! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1